Issue with one processor always being maxed out.

Maybe some else can figure thise one out for me. I’m running a SMP setup on a fresh install of win2k with nothing loaded on the machine. But for some odd reason the CPU usage is always pegged at 50% which usually means one processor is at full load.

Now a year prior when I ran XP Pro on this machine once booted it was near 0% CPU usage. But it took around 7 minutes to boot. Mainly due to the low specifications. But when it came to overall use it was MUCH faster to use and I could do alot that I seem unable to now (Maily play video fullscreen at 30fps, or multi-tasking several server apps) like I did prior.

At this point I’m about to start pulling disabling devices and see if anything is tying it up. But I’d figured someone might have an answer for this.

Specifications:

Dual P3-550
Asus P3B mobo
512MB RAM
Old 2GB SCSI drive
SB AWE32
ATI all-in-wonder 128

NO Background apps running, and nothing listed showing CPU usage except for general CPU usage in the task manager.

General CPU usage?

None of the processes show ANY cpu usage?

System Idle should be taking all 100, or at least 50

strange.

Do you see a system slowdown?

general cpu usage? wtf is that…

k im drinking but…

go to processes and index by cpu – what process is taking up the processor?

Ok Capt redundant :rolljerk:

lol

ok mr howie…

what would the idle processes be…

cus i know…

Only thing listed in use is system idle process at 100% which is typical. NOTHING else of importance is in us like stated above. Did this last time I had Win2k installed on it but I didn’t need the extra processing power at the time.

sounds like system idle process is only running on one processor

doubt it is a coincidence (sp) that it is exactly 50% with nothing open :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: also don’t you get the dual graph in task mgr? Run an app and check the utilization after the system is doing something else and see what it looks like

Correct me if I’m wrong but system idle process never shows up as general CPU usage. Also the load according to task manager varies from 25/75 to 75/25 randomly, no consistant pattern. Under usage it’s only goes up from there.

That also doesn’t explain why it’s running much slower than it did with XP loaded (Which showed 0-2% usage, like wise idle process was at 100-98% where it should be)

Problem with XP is it’s hard to get everything I need loaded in 2GB of space. And the 7-8 minute boot time blows. But likewise it will not multi-task near as well under Win2k.

ok go to start – run – type msconfig

go to startup

uncheck everything unless its virus scan or firewalll

restart

see if the problem goes away

sounds like you need to go to Linux with a box like that… fuck windows in its stupid ass