IT IS HERE v.blueray

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/images/BDR101a.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/27/pioneer-brd-101a-blu-ray-burner-officially-announced/

Pioneer just officially announced their DRC-101A Blu-ray burner we told you about back in August. This OEM-targeted burner/player is capable of hitting up both DVD±R/RWs and Blu-ray’s beefier 25GB next gen optical format. Sure, it’s not available for purchase but it’s still good to see genuine product announcements as 2006 nears. Expect to see much more on Blu-ray and HD-DVD as vendors begin to unveil their offerings at CES next week.

:ohnoes:

Jeezus why cant these people just pick one fucking standard. Its dumb ass companies like Sony that insist on having their own proprietary technology like beta tapes, minidisc, and memory stick that just fucks everything up and makes all products more expensive for us with no real benefit.

fuck sony

Uhh, its called business? and progress?

:word:

it is so gay

there have always been many versions of the same tech… but in the old days one would be completely wiped out mere months after its release. now since everyone wants to buy the latest crap on ebay, there remains a market for inferior/outdated tech…

DING DING DING

The “OMGGOTTAHAVEITEVENTHOUGHIDUNNOWTFITIS” consumerism is the root…

Either way at least there will be burners out as soon as the technology is released. Gives it time to drop in price by next christmas!

this is gay…pick one and stay that way

? I hope it nerver “Picks one and stays that way”. Its progress. New technology moves us forward. Image, HD on a disc! Picture the storage possibilies! Screw an external hard drive, ill just throw it on a bluray for you!

lol… while that is true, I cant wait until You have to drop $800 to pickup a drive.

Oh, I know. That i do agree with.

come on, when dvd burners came out they were well over a grand, give it 5-6 months and they will be mainstream priced.

that’s true with ALL tech…

also true: people already jumping on the Blu Ray bandwagon (“imagine a HD on a DVD”)… even though DVD HD is not far behind Blueray.

:shrug:

Exactly. Where exactly is the progress in Memory Stick??? Does any of the other 100 companies OTHER then Sony use the stupid shit?? NO .

It would be nice if after all the development they would just pick 1 standard, split the royalties and be done with it. This is where the government needs to step in and say… “This is the way its going to be fuckers”. Same shit with adopting a broadcast standard for HDTV. 1080i or 720p …no we fucking get both… more bullshit to deal because egomaniac dickfaces cant be reasonable.

When the US military is looking for a new air superiority fighter they have 2 companies build 2 prototypes. These companies spend BILLIONS on R&D. They have a flyoff competition and the best fighter wins the contracts. The end. While this is a extreme example with little compromize that is not the case for some stupid fucking plastic discs.

ok? Thats the government. Why should we have the government step in and fuck with a private business? Nobody is telling the cosumer that they have to buy ANYTHING let alone the product of one individual business. Thats just something that pisses me off, people saying that it is time for the government to step in a tell a company to do something one way.

you dont understand how competing standards hurt the consumer then i wont bother

True story.

Standards, not products.

HD video doesn’t need much more storage than SD video. It’s all about the codec and bitrates. With H.264, the bitrate is the SAME for High-Def as it is for Standard-Def. I know, it sounds kinda crazy, but it’s a higher resolution with better compression - and it works.

Blu-Ray (or any other larger storage medium) will certainly open up the possibilities for longer programs, clearer (less compressed) images, and higher resolution.

But, everything just keeps getting bigger and bigger. At what point will we be done increasing the common / standard video and photographic resolutions? 12 megapixels for a photo? 5 looks excellent with most consumer lenses. Most people never make enlargements, so when will we hit the barrier of clarity vs. excess?

Then comes HD video… At some point we’ll no longer be able to see any more detail with the naked eye. We could have movie-theatre-sized screens, with resolution that rivals a printed image (300dpi), will that be enough? What megapixel would that come to? Say, 16 feet by 9 feet (to keep the aspect ratio “correct”) x 300 dpi = 57,600x32,400 = 1,866,240,000 pixels or 1866 megapixels. That ought to be enough. You could get right up on the screen and read 6-point text. We may think this is overkill now, but who knows. Why not get to that resolution?

Then once we get to that milestone, will we be done with 2-D video and photography? It’s GOT to get to an end point, at which we’ll move on to 3-D and other dimensions.

As far as standard formats goes… I agree, one standard would be nice. Look at miniDV. It’s pretty widely used, not many other video tapes exist for digital video. Sure, mini-DVDs, but they aren’t good for serious video. (Pre-compressed video isn’t so good for editing.) What about the 3.5" floppy? I don’t recall a rival 1.44mb formatted disc.

I do, however, recall DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) tapes, made (I believe) by Philips, to rival MiniDisc. Backwards compatible with Compact Cassettes (what we pretty much call an audio “tape” now).

740k? lol