iTunes issues

well, once all of a sudden i opened iTunes…and got the message to the effect of “library location not found, a copy has been made called library_damaged_08.xml”

oooook

so then it wouldnt find about half of the songs, and i spent like an hour or two re-referencing all of the locations for my songs.

i closed out, and re-opened iTunes to make sure it was ok…which it was

I didnt use iTunes again for like a month, and then it did the same thing. So i completely uninstalled iTunes, then did a search for anything iTunes related on my HD, and deleted EVERYTHING, went through normal uninstall process etc.

Restarted computer…went to apple website and downloaded fresh newest version of iTunes…spent hours loading all of my 12gigs of music into it.

weeks later, i have the SAME problem, cannot find the library. WTF is going on with this shit, im losing it and really pissed off that i cant update my ipod and shit cause the damn program is a huge pile of shit. what am I doing wrong?

I think coldaccord just made the same thread…

itunes sucks. i hate having to use it for my ipod.

OT, can u put non drm on an ipod through itunes?

his was an issue with an external HD he would remove when not using iTunes, mine is just using it as normal on the computer…how the hell does it “lose” the library?

yes absolutely you can put non drm music and podcasts on an ipod through itunes.

I sold all my ipods, now I have a sandisk player, and a dell player.

I use itunes to download my podcasts, then just copy them to the players.

i have a sansa too, but im getting the iphone so im kinda stuck with an 8 gig ipod lol

when you add your music, do you have itunes actually COPY the file to the itunes music folder, or do you just add the song from its current location?

I once had a similar problem with songs going missing. It was solved by allowing itunes to actually copy the song instead of just “linking” to it(like a playlist).

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Check “copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library”

hope that helps.

im fairly certain i checked that to make sure it was making a copy. the problem is, Its losing the file path for the actual library itself, then it tries to re-source every song in iTunes, and then makes a “NEW” library file called damaged.

Thing is, it will make a new damaged library every time i open iTunes…I.E. if i search for library.xml it finds all of those “damaged” library.xml files, all in the same location.

like, if i was to open iTunes 10 times, there will be

damagedlibrary01.xml
damagedlibrary02.xml

etc.

free your ipod

i would have to say itunes along with your laptop hate you. thats the easiest way to put it =P