iTunes n00b

So I bought my wife an ipod touch. She likes it, it’s a slick little half mp3 player, half pocket Mac type of device.

But songs she buys disappears. :bloated:

She buys songs off of iTunes both at the PC and downloading them to the touch, and over the touch’s built in itunes/wifi. A day or two later she claims the song will be randomly gone.

The first thing I did was disable syncing at the PC just in case something was getting overwritten in the wrong direction.

The most recent time though, she bought the song via the touch/wifi. Never so much as plugged it into a computer. Now the song’s gone.

Are there any common reasons for this? Non-obvious settings? Some sort of copyright protection fuckup? Steve Jobs is fucking with me?

sounds like you need to take a ride to the genious bar

How many songs will it hold?

Fucking hell that store freaks me out. Everyone in there just seemed like they all probably have Steve Jobs bobble heads on the dash of their Beetles…

8 gig. You do the math.

800 - 1600, lets say 1200.

1200 x $0.99 = one expensive iPod :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no idea how to help your OP.

No, really, I’ve never personally used iTunes.

She’s only bought a handful of songs. But they tend to go away. They’ll show up in her purchased history on itunes, but nowhere to be found on the ipod or computer.

So its a windows machine?

-Update Itunes, this was a problem in earlier verisions.
-Check which folder the downloaded content is going. Different versions of Itunes save to different places (My Music > iTunes or My Music > iTunes > Previous iTunes Libraries)

I’ll definitely update iTunes, but this was only installed a month ago.

Plus the last song disappeared without the ipod ever being connected to the PC.

I had a few dissapear on the ipod when I hooked it up to the headunit in the car. It was kinda strange because they were on both, then only on the computer. It was only 3 of the 5 songs that I downloaded at the same time that dissapeared. :gotme: I must be as dumb as you are.

X…

Something else:

itunes has an option (under advanced tab i believe) to copy the files to a music folder when the files are added to the library…Might do something fo you might not.:gotme:

EDIT:Could also be a corrupt file/DB

EDIT2: One more thing viruscan?

Hmm… She docks it on our home theater system. I wonder if that’s effing with it…

Might be, I couldn’t duplicate the problem though, so that was kinda meh.

I think what it taught me, was to go back to stealing music from the internet, because it works better.

x…

:word:

Fucking hell. Some googling is showing that disappearing purchased songs, especially at the wifi store, is not uncommon. The Apple humpers seem to think that just contacting Apple and being able to redownload them within 48 hours is a fix and a testament to Apple’s greatness. :uhh:

:gotme:

I’m going back to stealing.

<–Goes to teach the wife how to use bittorrent…

:rx3:

buy stock in aapl tho

Seriously. Their stock is the only good Apple product on the market.

this happens to my sister’s ipod. she just has to keep trying until it goes onto the ipod. its a real pain.

torrents are the only way to go.