I've got coils and questions (rucas, tires, etc.)

Hey guys, I’ve got my coilovers installed now and with the car being a bit lower my camber is of course off.

Now, I was driving past the shop I usually take my auto problems to and decided to drop in just to ask about this, but I’ve always been told by 240 guys that I’m going to need rear upper control arms because the rear camber on my coils is not adjustable. The guy at the shop, who was some guy I’ve never seen or talked to before so I don’t know if he knows his stuff or not, took a look, felt around a bit and said “assuming it’s not too rusty to move, it’s adjustable”. So according to him, he said “figure out the ride height you want to stick with for a while and bring it in and we’ll do a 4 wheel alignment”

So, do I need RUCAS to fix the camber or not?

Next, I need tires. Mine suck.

I’m just on stock SE rims, and I don’t want to spend a lot of money. I’ve heard there are some hidden gems for reasonable prices that people here use but I don’t know who/what or where to get them.

I’d like something that’s going to last a good amount of kilometers but also something with reasonably stiff sidewalls and decent dry traction because I hate tire roll :slight_smile: If someone can give me make/models, prices and a place to get 'em I need to make up my mind! These shit comp t/as with no tread are killing me ;]

Depends how much negative camber you think is acceptable. Camber doesn’t really effect tire wear too much so I wouldn’t waste the money on adjustable control arms unless you have REALLY bad camber or you have the cash to spend anyway. I think there is some adjustment but not enough to get you back to stock.

As for tires … I’d recommend tirerack.com. Find a sneaky way to get them across the border and those prices are pretty damn hard to beat for brand spanking new tires.

The rear camber is adjusted using camber bolts

First pic are the bolts used for adjusting camber and toe. Camber is
adjusted using the bolt on the upper control arm.

As you can see I broke two of them. I believe the cost is about $17 for
one set of bolt+washer+nut (multiply by 4 for the set). :shock:
Careful when taking them out.

Second pic shows the arms and you can see where the bolt is. That bolt
when turned turns the washer and pushes the arm in/out to adjust camber.

http://240sx.cubicdesign.com/images/misc/camberbolts.jpg

http://240sx.cubicdesign.com/images/misc/reararms.jpg

Wicked G, thanks!

And thanks Sven - I indeed have a sneaky way across the border with them!

Anyone have any specific tire make/models I should check out?

Yoko AVS ES100s are a wicked price and a pretty cool tire … I just went through a set I got crazy cheap from TireRack. They are a little more pricy now but still a great deal.

when I dropped my car, my camber was at -2.6 degrees… that’s quite a bit…

I didn’t buy rear upper control arms since I didn’t have money. I got the guy to adjust my camber using the stock camber adjustment bolt and they came out to like -1.5 degrees, which is acceptable imo… but I think if you want to have no negative camber, you’ll have to get aftermarket upper control arms…

Ok then, wicked.

Thanks for the info guys!!