coilover question

hey guys im planning on getting track megan coilovers. i was just wondering what else im going to need to do to my car, ppl are telling me that my car will need an alighnment and im going to get bad camber, and need to change other things is this ture?

Are you running these on the street?

Andrew.

you want Rear RUCA’s a min, but it would be a good Idea to get full milti-link

yes i will be daily driving them. its for a 1998 240sx thanks guys

I was going to hint more at chassis rigity, the track spec coils are 12/10 spring rates. Overkill for street IMHO, 12/10 is more for track only type stuff. IE road racing.

But if all you’re worried about is camber and alignment. The camber plates the megans come with should do fine for adjusting front camber. On the rear, you’ll need RUCA’s at very least. If you plan to slam the car I would get toe arms and traction arms. These are must to properly adjust toe as well as eliminate bump steer so your rear suspension geometry is proper.

Andrew.

this is a newb question whast RUCAS? and ill will beat on a couple of turns once each day. tahnk you for ur help

Why andrew please explane bump steer to our fellow viewers

are you seriously getting 12/10 spring rates?

lol retarded

that is the stupidest thing i’ve ever heard in my life

springs that stiff are only useful on glass hahahaha

no i was just asking which set would be better to get

the normal ones for sure

whats rucas? will i need to get teh coilovers adjusted professionally or can id o it my self

RUCA’s is short for rear upper control arms. They adjust the camber on the rear, if the are adjustable. Which means you need aftermarket control arms. Stock ones only use camber bolts/washers and only adjust to a certain extent.

Bumpsteer for fellow viewers is caused by angle at which the lower control arm is positioned at. Ideally at stock ride height it should be very close to horizontal as you lower your car its geometry is thrown out of wack. This is where adjustable traction arms come in handy.

Bumpsteer can be noticed on the rear on those nice bumpy on-ramps and especially in the rain. I suck at explaining, let me find picture of s-chassis rear suspension. One sec viewers.

RUCA’s = Rear Upper Control Arms.

and if you want to adjust camber in the back when you lower your car, they aren’t enough. You need to get the Rear Toe Links as well in that case.

Bing has them up for sale on his site… also, you can check out Kazama, Battler Version, Cusco, JIC… they all make rear multilink suspension pieces for the S13/S14’s.

http://www.club4ag.com/images/Battle%20Version%20Calatog/bvs13.jpg

There, picture is a thousand words.
Andrew.

hey the ill fated Pink coil

hmmm, meh ill grab toe arm adjustments later,

tahnks for the detailed pic andrew lol so im guessing go for the street series?

last question i swear. do i need to get the coils adjsuted or can i just install them as i get it??? if have to get them adjsutded can anyone do it here or knwo of a plce?

Its a good idea (ie, you really really should) adjust them before you install them. At least to make sure all sides are even on drop and preload. Whoever installs them for you should know how to do that…

If you slam it you might want anti-bump steer tie-rod ends too, so the front of the car doesn’t mess around with you too :wink: The shopping list never really ends…

do any of you guys know for sure how much rear bump steer to expect when compressing the suspension 2" lower on an already slammed car?

i’m gonna set the car up for a bit of toe in in the rear but it would be nice to know if im going to be having any problems with bumps causing me to driftttttaaaaaaaaaaaaaapapapbwaaaaaaaaaaa

Andrew - bump steer is toe in/out changing whilst going over bumps, only applies to the front because the rack or steering linkage isn’t even with the road. What you be talkin’ 'bout is just plain old jittering…

And to Sasha - Ha! Trick question! I’m glad you posted that though, I wouldn’t of caught myself otherwise.

Bumps causing you to slideeee are as above, jittering… Not sure, but does that depend on how stiff your springs/dampers are?. Toe in makes for some twitchy high speed action. Small price for the smiting though 8)