Japan 8.9 quake - Tsunami

Faux News.

About 5 minutes in is NUTS. A wall of water and flames just mowing down everything. And people in their cars just trying to run for it… some getting swept away :eek:

Hawaii should be fine.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-naw-hawaii-warning-20110312,0,5340743.story

yeah cnn was reporting that hawaii will see minor damage in harbors, but nothing serious. probably some thrashed up boats.

Just so everyone’s clear - a magnitude 8.9 earthquake is equivalent to 332 megatons, or 322,000 kilotons of TNT being detonated simultaneously.

One megaton is one thousand kilotons of explosive. http://www.unitconversion.org/energy/kilotons-to-megatons-conversion.html

Ready for contrast? The biggest-ever detonated nuclear weapon - The Tsar Bomba, a Russian hydrogen bomb. Yield? Only 50 megatons (50,000 KT).

The atomic bombs that ended WWII? 15 and 22 kilotons, respectively, 37 KT total.

That means that this one event has 8,700 times the power behind it than both of the bombs combined that ended the greatest war humankind has ever waged.

that’s badass…geology numbers can sometimes be insane to think about

Earth: don’t fuck with it.

Good facts. Very informational… My fact is that the last MAJOR earthquake japan was hit with was on September 1 1923, magnitude 7.9 and it destroyed one-third of Tokyo and most of Yokohama. Over 140,000 people died. This one hit more North however.

i cant get the videos to load… doh.

It’s fucking sobering. It’s so early after this event and they are already finding hundreds dead.

That level this early means that the final toll will likely be in the thousands, if not tens.

Sobering indeed.

The fox News vid JayS posted won’t load here at work, damn.

That shit is BANANAS

…and now i’ve got Gwen stuck in my head. Thanks DUDE.

Ugh I’m flying to the Caribbean tomorrow. I’ll agree with everyone else and say this kind of stuff is very sobering.

Lots of crazy earthqaukes happening in recent years. Not good.

I have to say. Plus side… the National earthquake center has seismographs set up all around there, and a full tsunami buoy system to which they can notify the countries of a possible Tsunami to get to higher land, saving a lot of lives. very sad their are still going to be those that will pass away. I actually have a documentary on the Indonesian 2004 Tsunami and how they had no warning due to the national center not having equiment in there area. absolutely amazing to watch and to see the actual footage of this and how strong of a force is brought to these places just by the water.

absolute tragity though, and would shit my pants watching a wall of water coming at me with a bus floating on the tip of the wave.

for all the sucky weather we get and the weak economy in certain areas we sure as hell are crazy lucky to not have to deal with disasters on this scale as often as some of these regions do.

Agreed. We may have more rainy/cloudy/snowy days than other places but at least we don’t have to deal with earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes (not often at least) and any other major natural disaster.

Just got an email from our Japan office, sounds like everyone was ok. :tup:

Dan

I was upset when it was cold/rainy/windy out this morning.

Wow. This is terrible.