Haitian earthquake

Surprised no one posted about this yet. I saw it on the news last night and didn’t really pay much attention. Just figured, “yeah, earthquakes happen all the time”.

Now today they’re talking about 100000 people dead, maybe as high as 500000. :eek:

http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/World/Haiti%20Earthquake_Paul(5).jpg

nuts, but in over populated areas with cluttered infastructure they are asking for it.

it’s been all over twitter all day

they’re saying 100 thousand people dead? Maybe up to 1/2 million? Holy fuck

Yeah. 7.0 with the epicenter a few miles from the capital? Yikes. Even if it is the only 4th world country in the west, apparently there’s some massive destruction.

Was the DR affected too?

So insane.

7.0 is fucking nutso

Canada, European nations and countries across Latin America have mobilized supplies and aid for the island nation.
But one geographically close country is conspicuously absent from the roster of helping hands.
Cuba, which had evacuated some of its residents as a precaution in case the earthquake triggered a tsunami, has so far not offered any assistance publicly to its devastated island neighbor.

GO CUBA! :ham:

even more insane, up to 18 or so after shocks averaging 5.0. cant imagine what that would feel like after the main 7.0

Half million no way?!? I mean maybe but, holy crap that seems crazy!

Most people forget (myself included) that the Richter scale is logarithmic base 10.

You see 7.0 and think, “well how bad could it be, CA just got hit by a 6.5”. But a 7.0 has about 5 times the energy as a 6.5.

Another way to look at it, a 6.5 is about 5.6 megatons of TNT. A 7.0 is 32 megatons.

It’s really fucking tragic.

Hurricane Katrina killed: 1,836

This earthquake, at minimum, killed 54 times that number. At maximum 272 times.

Insane.

POP USA: 310,000,000
POP Haiti: 8,400,000

percent of population lost:

USA: .0006%
Haiti: 1.19%

Insane.

That is really sad. :frowning:

really?

Yes really.

Think of it as an earth quake, somewhere in the middle of nowhere farm state, vs one in NYC

either way to lose 500k in one shot is insane.

they lost what 200k in the psunami ?

:slight_smile:

Does 500,000 Haitian deaths negatively effect any US market? :stuck_out_tongue:

Blows though.

Edit:
If 200K are indeed lost from a wave and 500K lost in a shake, you’d think who ever was left would move.

700K people lost, is insane.

I typed wave at first, but figured people would get but hurt.

Either way 12 inches of water shouldnt have killed 200000 people.

Katrina would have been avoided if idiots didnt build below sea level.
ect. ect.

i want to know what that feels like (without dying!)

i also want to see a tornado before i die. i do not want the tornado to cause my death.

tsunami

Edited my post to a more pertinent example.