Japan Star off Central

How many of you guys buy stuff from this place? I’m kinda sketched about this place beacuse a member on here “DualOverHeadDan” bought an SIR2 swap for his civic and gave him the wrong ECU, grinding tranny and minus a few things needed for his swap. I’d like to hear the experiences you’ve all had with them if any. ;D!

very shady place IMO, isn’t a place i’d go.

I have heard a lot of bad things, plus their website has disappeared.

There website it still up: Japenesestarmotor.com

Anyway, I went there for my Silvia front parts, they tried to sell me alot of crap, including a VLSD that looked like crap. Personally I wouldn’t buy a motor/trans/diff from them.

I have had good and bad experiences. You just have to carefully inspect what you are getting and know exactly what to look for. The owner is running the place as of the last 6 months and it has gotten a bit better.

u gotta look at it this way…if ur gonna buy a motor there then plan on rebuilding it (seals etc.)…if u want body panels and stuff it isn’t a bad place, and it is right there…no waiting

I have a handfull of friends that have all baught motors/trannys in the past from them and I have done the swaps personally with no issues whatsoever. But I do hear they are under different owners/management…so don’t know what the deal with the place is now.

i got my motor off of them. i rebuilt the entire motor before i even attempted to run it, so i cant say if anything was wrong with that. they gave me an obd2 ecu which i requested an obd1. but i didnt know the difference back then 3 years ago. my dizzy was shot. my transmission was junk 1st and second gear. it was an LS tranny instead of a GSR.

i know they have the JDM front end i want really bad… :bowdown

hes been tryin to sell me that for months. haha

Wow, minus 1 for them… This chick told me that japan star gave her a broken passanger seat.

I bought my B16a swap from them a year ago. I had no issues with the engine what so ever. But they didn’t have the ecu there and the axels weren’t exactly the right ones. I just bought a B18b from them 2 weeks ago, no issues at all with it. The motor runs great.

I also heard they are under new managment now.

Wouldn’t stay in business if they were horrible. They have decent merchandise but buyer beware applies.

You gotta point… are you allowed to walk around the shop n see what they have?

I bought a JDM b16a from japan star a year ago and they were pretty cool about most problems i encountered. 1st, the b16 tranny was grinding into second gear, they swapped the bad b16 one with a gs-r integra tranny no questions asked…the new tranny was fine. Second, they initially gave me a gs-r ob2 ecu which was faulty(valve 4 on the motor wouldn’t fire)…they gave me a 97 Integra Type-R ecu as a temp replacement which worked fine, but not ideal. 3rd, the knocksensor was broken on my motor, I told JStar and they pulled one off anotther motor for me, no problem. Last, one of the fuel injectors on the motor was faulty, and yet again…they just pulled one off another motor and gave it to me. Dean at JStar never could get me the correct ecu, which is the only real gripe i have about my overall experience with these guys. Other then that they were pretty friendly and willing to work with me with on any issues i had…

Anyways, if anyone wants to trade a obd2a b16 ecu for a 97 Integra Type-R obd2a ecu let me know!

I used you as a reference before :nod

They will let you walk around and look at what ever. I ushally talk to Dex there, he knows everything thing in there. But Dean is a lot more helpful, and can work out prices with you.

Do they happen to finance?

no

Japan Star FTL. End of story. Hmotorsonline.com :nod