JayS, AWD, Political Crew: Why do we cap SS tax?

My godmother is 92 years old this year. Great depression… world wars… one room school houses… livind on the dirt in the outskirts of Macon, GA… you name it.

She has been retired since 1974. Her mortgage (taken in 1951) was paid off in 1966, and she hasn’t taken any bank loans in over 20 years.
She collects a couple hundred dollars/mo from her husbands pension. She also collects a few bucks from SSI. The only other active income she has is $100/mo rent that a family friend pays her for the upstairs apt.

She can tell you nearly EVERY in & out of her two private health insurance policies, as well as the minimal part that Medicare kicks in. She doesn’t have ANY problems spending $100 - 200 / mo on groceries (i shop for her & deliver). Further, she’d been able to loan my generation of our family upto a few $grand in a few cases over the years.

Shes technically a hair above the poverty line… yet she has an incredible quality of life. Her house has been better maintained then most I’ve been in, anywhere, and alot of her belongings are old, but in fantastic shape.

Most of her friends (that are still alive) are in similar positions in life.

Why is this an exception, and not commonplace?

FTR - I can’t stand Limbaugh.

So, You’re saying that the “lazy shit” stereotype is in the wrong, but the old people eating cat food stereotype is in the right?

I’m saying that we should spend less time trying to assign blame and fortifying stereotypes and more time thinking about plausible solutions to our current economic problems.

:wstupid:

Let people keep their money.
It is really simple.
I guess I need to find a different way to say because people don’t seem to understand how simple it is.

It’s not your money. It never was. It belongs to the government. I understand your confusion though. That paycheck makes it look like you earned that money you worked for. Thats because employers want you to be pissed about the government taking their share from them AND you.
Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean they don’t understand. If it were really as simple as you wish it were we wouldn’t be debating.

:lol:

It is his money. Money was just civilization’s answer to the problem of trading real items. Sure, me trading the 3 chickens I raised for 3 gallons of milk worked fine at the dawn of cilvilzation, but assigning a dollar value to the product and trading dollars back and forth is much easier. The government doesn’t own the dollar any more than it owns the chicken. Government doesn’t own ANYTHING, the people do.

And what Joe wants to do is take the 3 chickens I worked so hard to raise and give one to the guy who has none, because somehow his lack of chickens is my problem.

:picard:

Another one bites the dust.

OK one last chance.
This question is for anyone to answer.

What would happen if the economy got a stimulus of TRILLIONS of dollars?

Why do we even talk politics on here? Half the forum believes one thing, half believes an other, and no one has ever successfully convinced the other side that they were wrong.

Inflation out the ass. See: Weimar Republic.

You’re right, I’m done.

I’ll answer your question with a question:

What would happen if everyone is given $4000 dollars for school?

Please ban me.

I actually LOL’d.

The irony is delicious.

I won’t speak for Joe. I think that it is cheaper in the long run to give someone a chicken sandwich, than it is for me to lose a bunch of chickens to theft.

I understand the moral objection. Morals don’t solve problems, they prevent them. We’re talking about solving problems here.

Millions of broke (potentially homeless) Americans > 40% of your earned income

Naw you’re helping keep the median IQ on this site over 70. And age. Zing!

A bunch of asshole politicians would get reelected and we’d still be fucked.
You can’t rob Peter to pay Paul.

And instead of giving everyone money to go to school, how about we make all education expenses deductible from your earned income? Wouldn’t that encourage people to work AND go to school instead of one then the other?

Add in a requirement for a minimum GPA and you’ve got what I suggested a couple pages back. :slight_smile:

Do you have any idea how flawed that logic is?

OK. No more taxes. Done.

Who builds our roads? How do we pay for that? Who gets to decide what roads go first? Who decides how best to build them?

Ok, now that we’re done with roads let’s talk about that money we’re letting people keep.

WHO PRINTS IT? How do we pay for it to be printed? And the support staff for that printing, the accounting, the tracking, the management of the nation’s cash flow.

Oh wait, you pay for it WITH TAXES.