JClark, drool inducer for ya.

Hot.

Because if he’s using S54 heads, the intake sides need to be on the inside and exhaust on the outside. Since you cant buy one “mirrored” from BMW, gotta flip one.

oic. got power back?

Late last night, but no cable. So it’s the stone age…but with lights.

At office now catching up.

Werd, hop on aim when you get a chance.

I done been on.

:shifty

Believe it or not Jay, I played with the idea of this a few years ago but using S50 stuff instead. Then when I talked with you last year about an engine for your kit car that was both exotic in looks, sound, and power I tooted with this yet again and pulled out my technical drawings I made for the “S50-2” as I dubbed it then. Talks with Jesse forced me to push the S54 envelope.

I’m in serious talks with a few other people about getting a grant($50K) to produce a running prototype. This may very well end up viable before any of my other projects! I can fairly easily have all the CAD work complete in a month and start turning the CNC’s on for machine work.

If I could just get some damn S54 specs I could get the crank done. Having never built an S54, I have nothing on file for this particular engine in terms of crank specs. Going to have to do some digging. Turner M and BW haven’t a clue, and I can’t get through on the phone to EvoSport right now…

So I’m on the hunt for the following: all OEM standard(not undersize)

Crankshaft main journal diameter
Crankshaft main journal width(width of bearing shell is fine, must list all 7 mains)
Crankpin journal diameter
Crankshaft thrust clearance
Connecting rod big end width(cross section. AKA thrust to thrust, not bolt to bolt)
Connecting rod big end side clearance(side free play)

Lets just buy some s54 internals… find one, I’ll consider making an initial investment!

Curious on 12 cyl firing order…

check with Horsepower Freaks, they deal with the engine alot when building them for the HPF turbokits.

Evosport would probably be down to throw out some parts as well

Called, it’s a negative. The problem lies in that there are no undersize bearings available for this motor. It is so high strung that BMW never specified them, always crank replacement if worn. So everyone just drops factory bearings in and checks for proper oil clearance and thrust (which I know…02-.05mm, and .08-.16mm) I need diameters, which are slated at 49mm crankpin and 60mm mains but I must know for a fact.

PTG has aftermarket, STD race bearings at $1000 a set but are unwilling to give out details.

Even getting OEM internal parts is difficult from places like Pelican. Everything is made to order from most places(rods, pistons, etc) I’m planning on using OEM internals at this point, no need to go aftermarket. Pistons and rods in the S54 are stressed relived forgings

I’ve called Evosport as they’ed be the ones who would definitely know this they just wont answer. Early vacation maybe…

It looks like I’m going to have to buy a pair of complete S54’s at some point. Holy expensive.

Trick is finding just internals without going to the dealer. I’d need so much from two engines(entire head and ancilliareis, bottom end guts, etc) it’s just better buying the engines as a whole.

FO is 1 7 5 11 3 9 6 12 2 8 4 10 for 1st + 3rd order vibration cancellation.

Two more years and they’ll be much cheaper I’m sure.

PTG still has customer interests at heart, they wont give out any information, especially on their own parts.

Adam, you need to call Stickley, etc. They actually do the motor building for all the companies you spoke with. If you can get Chuck S himself on the phone, he’ll know everything.

Except the valve train in one bank will run backwards. I don’t think the double VANOS will like that.

Certainly, but I’m not waiting two years to start this. More like two months at worst :tong

Clark, do you happen to have a phone number? I’m calling you in a minute…

In normal fashion yes, but I’m a little ahead of you on this. The head will be mounted in reverse, but the valvetrain will not run backwards when I’m done. That’s as much as I will say about it for the moment…

This is why imports suck. Lack of engineering information available. Then again, thats what will make the result so valuable.

1000 bucks for quality bearings, amazing!

that sir is what we call a cock tease… you’re so prude :nono

edited due to the benny’s school of grammer

It’s you’re, and just wait til it’s done. He has the technogology, he can build it.

It’s not readily available off the top of any NAPA monkey’s head because import manufacturers put sports car motors in sports cars, truck motors in trucks, and economy motors in economy cars…not the same motor in all 3. :nana