jdm swaps

i’m not originally from here, so this is a bit of a mystery to me as far as getting a car with a jdm swap inspected around here. i’m looking into buying a 94 integra gsr from out of state, but i’m starting to get a bit weiry as to if this kid knows what hes selling or not. he states the motor is stock, but the valve cover had VTEC in bigger letters than dohc in the pictures hes providing, so i’m thinking it may be swapped. if it does end up being a jdm motor when i go to look at it will i have any trouble getting it through the inspection process when i get it back here to NY? am i supposed to have any special paper work stating what the motor is/where its from? and am i going to have to track down another catalytic converter since the original was removed? i’ve lived here for a bit now, but i’ve only ever had obd2 cars and i’m not sure what i can get away with by having something obd1. any help i can get is much appreciated

most places u take it around here are just gonna make sure all the lights work, ebrake works, and it doesnt smoke or smell funny. As long as it has something that resembles a catalytic convertor ur probably fine.

pre-96 cars dont have to be emission tested, just a safety inspection. you’ll be fine

^^pretty much. this isn’t california, you’ll be fine.

jam, it’s been your turn on words with friends for 3 days, either submit a word or just accept your fate and resign.
:cuddle:

What Jam said. Although it sounds like you might want to take someone with you who knows Hondas when you look at the car if the current owner is confused about what motor is in it.

Could be just a valve cover swap, look at the engine stamp on the front of the block, left of the header where it meets the transmission.

http://asia.vtec.net/topics/engcode1.jpg

If it is a JDM motor, it will simply be stamped b18c.
JDM motors don’t have a number after the letter, such as b18c1, which is a USDM GSR motor.

Jam is the worst at this.