Jeep Auto Tranny Help...

Quick info:

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, needed a tranny so I bought one, installed it with a little help. Checked all the vitals and ish for a week, and then continued to put around 5k miles on it in about 8 weeks… always checking fluid, and adding a little incase it was a little low, etc.

Problem:

Last Wednesday I was in Buffalo finding an apt, doing some city driving and it seemed a little sluggish like it was going from 1-3 and skipping the 2nd shift (its auto). So I pulled over and checked the fluid, and it was on the mark just below max in the “safe” area, so it seemed fine.

It was ok the rest of the day and on the way home I made it to Stony Brook hill (for those not familiar its a pretty long steep hill) and made it to the top.

Well at the top after a mile, I gave it some gas and it revved like it popped out of gear into neutral. I check and look down and its in drive. So I pulled over, put it in park and put it in drive but all it did was rev like in neutral. So I got out and underneath all the tranny fluid was pouring at a steady rate out, and it was smoking.

So I killed it, called for someone to get me, and flatbedded it back to my garage.

Question:

Does anyone know what happened? I’m not an expert at diagnosing a tranny problem so my first instinct was the housing cracked due to stress from the hill or the transmission gasket blew. But of course thats just speculation because to be honest, when it comes to tranny’s I don’t know the first thing about em, cept how to put em in really lol.

Also I failed to mention the tranny warranty was only 30 days or 1000 miles, so thats not an option. Sadly.
Also some information it was a used tranny with 15,000 with a brand new torque converter

did you check your fittings going to the radiator? a hose may have come loose.

also FYI, if you dont know, when checking your tranny fluid in your jeep, you are supposed to have the car in neutral while checkin it. so you would need someone to put it in neutral for the dipstick reading to be accurate.

sure it’s not the Transfer Case?