Jeep Wrangler Questions

I’m going to look at one possibly tomorrow, '91. It has really low miles, but was in a minor fender bender. The owner said it needs a new fender, and it now pulls to one side pretty good. That was the extent of the owner’s description of the problem. What are all of the possibilities that this could be, and what should I look for? I’m not familiar with Jeeps, so any other advice on what to look for when buying a Wrangler (besides RUST) would be appreciated.:loopie:The Jeep is in Rochester, so I want to make sure I can figure out what it is before I go, and I would have to somehow drive it back to Buffalo.

lousy peugeot transmission in six cylinders 87-89

^ true

if it isnt the I6, you really shouldnt bother. imo

Gen III v8 FTW

http://www.novak-adapt.com/images/pics/ls1_in_99tj.jpg

common issues are leaks at transfer case to tranny and diff pinion seals. The pull is probably caused by a bent toe arm in the front-end. Not expensive to replace but obviously an alignment is required. Make sure the tranny shifts smoothly and the transfer case linkage is not seized up. Definitely put the truck in 4wheel drive and make sure everything is funtioning properly. Put the truck on dirt or gravel and try to watch if the front wheels are grabbing. Check the driveshafts for play in the u-joints and also try to look at the front axle shafts for u-joint issues.

make sure you check where the steering box attaches to the frame, this is a huge weak spot on the wranglers, I have a bunch of friends with jeeps out of 5 wranglers, 3 of them have cracked the frame or completely caved in.

Thanks for the tips! Peugeot transmission, yikes, is that manual, auto, or both? I would be looking for manual anyway. What engine options were there in '91? I don’t know if it’s a I6 or not, but I’ll know when I check it out.

RacerX- Thanks for all the info!

I’m just looking for a second vehicle since I put most of the miles on my old Accord for work. Therefore, I can have something to play with on the weekends, I’m not worried about fuel economy or breaking it offroad. I’m sure if I get a decent one, I’ll end up modding it a bit.:wink:

91… youll have the AX15 trans. the trannies in those things arent the strongest in any of the 80’s-90’s years.

a nice swap is the 4banger cummins diesel… its basically the same as the 5.9 that the dodge trucks get minus 2 cyls. you can get the trans from a freightliner box truck attached to a TH400 GM trans. there is an adapter from advance adapters to bolt the GM TH350/TH400 trans to the NP231 transfer case. few motor mounts, some plumbing and wiring and you have a diesel jeep that gets great mileage and hauls from the torque.

Brian

^ :tup:

I’d go for the B3.9 with a NV4500 and NP241OR if I was going to do the whole deal (and didn’t care about $$$)

NP241 = bomb diggity T-case

91 - Is that the 4.2? I am pretty sure it’s a 4.0 if you are looking at an I6. If it was the 4.2, I would not touch that shit.

You mean NP241 or the NP241OR? 241J is a good unit but the 4:1 low in the NP241OR is definitely the bomb diggity. There is talk of Jeep going back to the smaller tcase and running a NP233 in the Wrangler. I think an electric shift tcase in the Wrangler is :tdown: Only the Rubicon will have a lever shift, and that’s via a cable.

What a pile of SHIT. First off, the frame was rediculously bent. It obviously took most of the hit on the front bumper. Leaf spring destroyed. Shock bent. The whole front end was majorly tweaked. The door had a 1 inch gap and wouldn’t open- I know it’s a Jeep door but damn! I couldn’t imagine how this thing drove. And thats just what I saw at dusk w/o a flashlight. “Just needs a fender and pulls a bit” turned into “I hit a guardrail at 30. Really? The frame is bent?”. “I’ll meet you there to show it” turned into “If you want to drive it you would have to come pick me up”. The kid didn’t even give me the right address so I ended up in some random guys garage asking for directions. Oh well, I’ll keep looking for a decent one.:bloated:

^ haha

This happened to me many times, many years ago looking for a wrangler.

on wnyoffroad there is a nice 91 with a soa with 32s i was thinkin of picking it up for the gf but i dont think her parents would want it at the house

o and its 3000 firm

I will sell you my '97 Sport for $6700 (firm). I6, 5-speed, hard top. It’s in REALLY good condition.