Jon's 92 AWD DSM $2007 Challenge

So I bought this from another board member (slammer) with the intention of building a budget race beater. I may not actually compete in the challenge, I have yet to commit to it, but that is the theme if not the goal.

http://www.grmotorsports.com/news/category/2007-challenge/

First the good news…running 4G63 turbo. The car came already fitted with a manual rack and with the factory AC removed.

I think I might need the lower timing belt cover to drive this anywhere, call me overly cautious.

Also up is some bodywork.

I stripped a lot of non-essentials from the interior. Well begun is half done right?

The current “best” angle.

Right now I need to take out the pedal assy and figure out what is wrong with it, then probably throw a master and slave on there.

Going to stick with the 14b and 450s for now, maybe some H2O injection, probably a 190lph pump.

cool. good luck

since there is a show portion of this and budget is tight this link may be of interest.

Jon, I wouldn’t worry about entering the contest unless you can figure out a way to run mid-high 10’s for next to no money.

But, good luck on the project. Let me know if you need anything.

I saw that, I wouldn’t expect to win, but it could still be fun. I should be able to make the top 10 in the 1/4.

cool… if you need a 190 pump let me know I have one out of my old ca.

Have the lower timing shit laying around?

A DSM should be pretty good for the challenge, for handling the best thing you could do would be to pick up a set of used Hoosier/Kumho race tires off somebody. We had two guys locally enter last year in a CRX, I think they are building a BMW for this year.

http://www.racepa.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4239&hl=

Jon, if you need used race tires, let me know. I’m not sure what’s all left, but I remember about 8 Hoosiers sitting up at a friend’s shop.

:wink:

Good Luck man

Thanks guys.

Well the tires are shit, and those laser rims are hideous.
I figured I will want to drive this around for enjoyment too, so I got some nice new shoes.

Pedal assy is out, should be back in, and the car driveable in a few days, then I can really get some shit done on it. Thinking of going the E85 route.

Pedal assy is back in, but barely works, although welded on the failure prone end, the shaft must be twisting, because the top 3/4 of travel don’t push in the master cyl at all.

I drove the DSM to the gas station (slave rod shimmed, and clutch slipping a bit) put some fresh fuel in, got back in and had no electrical power of any kind. Popped the hood and found the neg battery cable/terminal broke off.

Fortunately I had a pair of vicegrips in the car, so I clamped the 2 busted ends together, and it made it back to the garage.

Pedal assy, 2 front fenders and inspection this week.

This shit is more fun when its warm outside.

Drove it today. I almost forgot how awesome it is having a turbo.

haha awesome… if you still need that 190 get me on aim…

Looks good! Needs lowered though bad…

tearin up the winter streets!

What happened to your 90?

x2 …it will look so much better lowered