Just call me Harada - My 50th Anniversary Edition Z31 Build

let’s please turn this into a Jennifer Aniston thread… PLEASE!!!

sound off… i’ll take this ALL DAY LONG!!!

https://youtu.be/ue70z5Sa8Cg

…drools on keyboard…

Another build worth checking out http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?topic=39378.0

Cross factory flares look way better imo. Dunno if you can still source them though.

:bounce: I’m so anxious to get this build going

Possibly… current owner is a Dan.

Sounds lovely

That’s the plan actually. Keep it in the 50th AE “look” but update/modify the look. I actually dig the two-tone to a degree.

Thanks for the link. I’m sure those are impossible to find. I’m going to run the same front end he has (the 87+ front + TBO lip) His build is super clean

Update: just sourced a front clip from an '87 turbo, meaning I will have the newer style front end (hood, headlights, bumper) taking away some of the boxiness thus allowing the rounded fenders I want to add to flow with the car much better. Coming in with the motor (same seller) Which may actually be coming a week earlier than I originally thought… So I need to get the diff/clutch/fan/brakebooster/harness issues sorted out ASAP

I love boxy.

This is going to be sweet.

Sub’d.

Those sure look like Roh Reflex wheels to me.

Paging @ds50r

Yep I sold it to Dan about 4 years ago I think. I still miss that car. Build looks great!

:tup:

Yes! they are. I noticed the ROH on there but didn’t look them up. They are super light

nice. You can come visit it if you’d like/help put the motor in hahaha

My feeling on the Z31 is that in stock form it was not the prettiest version available. However…with the proper modifications you can really bring out some beauty, especially with the right wheels / stance. I agree with you on the uniqueness aspect. I can’t honestly say I’ve seen any Z31’s locally modified as per some of the pics seen here, not to mention very few “stock” ones either. Keep this going.

It’s going :wink: getting ready to drop in the drivetrain… need to make sure I have everything ready.

I am in! I would love to check out the old M. PM me your #

…and help install the motor? hhaa. PM’d

what happened to the cow pattern painted Z31

I don’t miss working on this car from way back when lol. Rear end is welded with new poly bushings in it if I remember correctly. Guy who owned it before the person you bought it from is on here as well but doesn’t post much.

-Gennaro

300zx Goals for this week:

BODY

• Attempt to finish all the rust repair and rustproofing before motor comes
  • Clean and paint engine bay in order to be Clean/pretty/ready for transplant
  • Bondo and sand; primer spots left from rust removal

ENGINE BAY

• Repair 302 engine mounts, go back to stock VG mounts
  • put brakes booster / lines back together
  • repair cut EFI/Engine harness wiring
  • Clean up wiring; paint bay
  • Exedy Clutch/Flywheel

INTERIOR

• get seats in and working (or say screw it and use stock seats for now to get the car running)
  • Respray rearview mirror black to match interior
  • Remove more panels/dash to clean/rustproof

CLSD should be in by friday - Want to try and install it before the motor/trans go back in
VG30ET should be in on saturday along with a Kouki (87-89) front end conversion (Bumper, hood, headlights)

Crossing my fingers, hoping that everything goes smoothly.

rear end is welded? Like the diff? FML I just bought a CLSD for it, lol (I guess that is better anyway)
Yes, new poly bushings all around

Yeah diff is welded, my buddy Aj did it.

Ah okay. thanks for the heads up. Previous guy didn’t mention that.

I should have mentioned earlier in the thread, but I do in fact look forward to seeing this done. I drove one of these out in Costa Mesa for a few days, it was a nice driving car.

Thanks! Yeah it should be a blast once running. Not sure how long it’ll be 'til “done” though.

Spent a good 5 hours last night doing rust removal and trying to cut out the 302 mounts that were put in - they were sloppy but think metal so my cutting wheel wasn’t doing much. May just have them cut out when I bring it in to get factory mounts put in. (donovan)

I have maybe 5 more rust spots that need some attention then I want to clean up the engine bay so that after the mounts are in place I can spray it.

Also figured out the part of the harness cut is the EFI so I only need a new EFI harness, not the entire harness. (sort of good news) going to see if a local yard has it before spending $150ish on a new old stock one.

Was trying to make these sport seats work but they are a bit wider than stock and it seems the way to make them work may be structurally unsafe because it involves welding an additional bracket to the OEM seat rails for them to bolt to the rails. I want to be able to adjust the seating position still, so trying to avoid straight weld-in.

Tomorrow I’m going to try and get to the rest of the rust spots that are bad then purchase rustproofing paint. I forget the name but apparently you can spray on rust that is already there and it will stop it from spreading. this seems fine for some of the more simple spots but there are some spots that need some metal patching (the A pillars where they meet the hood, and the rear driver fender under the antennae where the bad leaking was.

Other things that need immediate attention are the EFI harness and a few other things to get the car running. would rather have the engine bay sprayed then drop the motor in to get it running before trying to get the body to 100%…