Just wondering

I think that is somewhat true. At somepoint yes, obviously we will all die, but you just never know. We could get sucked into the suns orbit tomorrow for all we know…

but what about BACON?

i could fall down the stairs in like 5 minutes when i leave this place and snap my neck and die. no fun. im not too worried about this “epidemic” that is a result of subpar sanitation… l

ive always been a fan of this picture. so i felt it necessary to quote it.

yea, im actually wondering why its all over the news THAT much. Ive heard like one person died in the US.

So…you arent going to explain this one then?

i was kidding. i shoulda wrote “eleventybillion” or “/sarcasm” or something, my bad on this one.

I work for the NYS Nurses Association and this si the awesome email we all got this morning: (mind you we get a “daily update” almost every afternoon)

Good evening all-
As I will be up and out early in the morning for a workshop at one or our facilities and not have a chance to post an update I wanted to do it this evening:

As you probably already know by now the World Health Organization (WHO) has raised its pandemic alert level to phase 5, which means that a pandemic is imminent. It’s the second time in a week that the WHO has raised its pandemic alert level, which ranges from phase 1 (low risk of a pandemic) to phase 6 (a full-blown pandemic is under way). There are only a few criteria remaining to raise it again to the highest level, 6.

If it goes to a level six, we may expect to see some public health strategies to mitigate the spread put into play: closing of schools and places of public assembly, staggered work schedules in some industries, non-essential travel curtailed, screenings for inbound travelers at airports and seaports, PODs (point of distribution centers) set up for distribution of medications, prophylaxis of front line healthcare providers and public officials (fire, ems and police)…to name a few.

As professionals we will be asked by family and friends many questions about the flu and what they should be doing. Several web sites have all the same message: Good personal hygiene, good nutrition, sleep and stay well. If you start to feel ill, isolate yourself from others to avoid spreading whatever you have. Watch for flu like symptoms (cough, fever, sore throat, muscle ache and general malaise and with this flu some report GI symptoms) CALL your healthcare practitioner first before going to the office or the hospital. Follow their advice. If you have been in close contact with someone with the flu, you should also keep your distance (house quarantine) for five to seven days and if you are still well after that time, it is probably okay to go out again.

Families should have a pantry stocked to sustain a quarantine of at least seven days, should it become necessary. We should also remind folks that the strain we are seeing in the U.S. so far is mild and recovery takes its usual course expected with an ordinary flu. Immunocompromised folks, just as with seasonal flu, need to take extra care to avoid exposures. For everyone, emphasize respiratory etiquette and social distancing (avoid crowds, keep at least 6 feet between people, smile and nod rather than shake hands)

We, and our members, as professionals may be called upon to step up to the plate to provide care for those who fall ill. You should review and update your personal emergency preparedness plan for the family…if public health measures close the schools or stagger work schedules for your spouse, how will the member handle child or elder care duties?..what if your facility is quarantined for 7 days and you can not leave? Are you prepared? IS your family plan in place? Do you have someone designated to take your kids off the bus, cook, pay bills, etc…

If you haven’t already, the LBU meetings should spend some time addressing how members will handle flu personally, in their facility…what policies are in place? how will sick calls be covered? what if a member contracts the flu while on duty…will the hospital presume the illness is acquired at work and therefore not contest a W/C filing or will they make it difficult? Are nurses who will be required to wear a respirator currently medically cleared and fit tested to wear the respirator…if not, there should be a plan in place to comply with this OSHA standard (29 CFR 1910. 134) IS there a policy and procedure (i.e. written respiratory protection plan) which describes where the respirators are stored, under what conditions they are to be used and how to obtain new ones as needed? Is there an adequate supply? What is the hospital’s policy and plan for prophylaxis for nurses with potential exposures…how about treatment for those who contract the flu? What is the hospitals plan for surge capacity and surge capability and at what point will staff know they have exceeded capacity and capability and what will they do at that point?

There is a lot to think about and do…if your facility (and our members) have not been proactive with their all hazards emergency preparedness planning, your task is even that much more difficult! (But that is an over statement of the obvious!)

Thomas J. Lowe, RN, MPH, COHN-S
Health and Safety, NYSNA

I AM SO SICK OF HEASRING ABOUT IT!

Seems like a lot of people are freaking out over a flu. Yes it spreads very easily, yes it could kill, no we do not live in the early 20th century. We have modern health care, which in the US is generally very good. Do everything you would do if you had the regular flu and everyone should be fine.

I’m so sick of hearing about it also! It’s funny to see people walking around with face masks on… IT WON’T HELP YOU! lol this strand is so small unless you have a fitted respiratory you’re screwed.

I take my chances. I get this and I’m out of work (paid) for however long it takes… SAWEEETTTT! lol

If you’re gonna get it… you’re gonna get it… Just use some common sense!

:retardclap:retardclap WASH YOUR GOD DAMN HANDS PEOPLE… :retardclap:retardclap

Calm down.

I’m better now thanks! lol I’m just so tired of hearing about it.