super flu outbreak

so who is paying attention to all the talk about an impending flu pandemic seriously?

every other time i listen to the news or go to a news website there is talk about this. it seems to be quite the hot topic to be talking about?

who is concerned about it happening?
what do you think will happen?

personally if the avian flu begins infecting enough people and spreads quickly i can see millions of americans panicing

whats your .02cents?

remember sars?

yeah, me either…

7.1 billion dollars…

seven point 1 billion dollars to combat the flu

does anybody else think there’s a fucking problem with this? :cjerk:

i heard about this subject - sort of. i heard it’s being brought here by birds and it’s deadly and is going to wipe out millions. but i’m not scared.

sometimes i think there should be a little bit of “survival of the fittest.” i’ll just sit back and watch. as mean and cruel as that sounds.

So do you believe in eugenics?

It’s definitely a disturbing topic, but Americans tend to have this detached-from-everything view on anything global.

No way. Not at all. That was not the route I was going… I meant if it came to the United States I wouldn’t care. I do care about the other countries that don’t have the means to protect themselves from it. Ahhh crap. I’m just going to stop talking.

READ THIS…

This quote reminds me of something I read recently.
Congress and other govt higher ups can legally buy certain stocks then pass legislation that would have a tremdenous affect on that stock!
Example: Pharmaceutical companies!!!

If you or I tried something like that we would go to prison Martha Stewart style!

everyones gonna die :ohnoes:

Well it’s no mystery that members of congress typically fair very well as investors. :wink:

^ very correct sir.

BTW

If we didn’t keep putting out these things that kill 99.9% of all germs/virii, we wouldn’t have these problems.

Everyone’s immune system would get stronger, instead of weaker

instead, we essentially create these nasty virii

Don’t get me started on that subject.:lol:
I am all for profits BUT, Pharmaceutical companies are making huge profits at the expense of our health INTENTIONALLY.
I am going to stop now before I get all fireds up.:smiley:

people not using medication AS DIRECTED is a big issue

George Carlin would be proud. :tup:

only fear i have is exposure…im an emt so if i take in sombody for like a general illness and it turns out to be that flu shit i have a good chance of getting it…although right now i gota be like Mr.Burns…all the shit is building up and cant get threw the little door lol.

after they make X amount of dollars, they’re forced by the govt to help out/distribute meds to the “underprivliged” and the lazy (thanks billary)

thats a big part of why med prices are so high and why we’ve had shortages of flu vaccines (well, that and lawsuits). It’s not worth it to the company to make (the vaccines) so we started buying from europe

but about the flu… I’m not worried in the least bit. The media likes to hype shit to death so I take what they say with a grain of salt. If it happens, it happens… not much that anyone can do about it.

I’m not sure how I feel about. I know the media likes “scary stories” because they drive up ratings. A quick reality check.

Last year about a million people died in the US from heart disease and cancer. That’s just the US.

They’re talking about the possibility of 1-1.5 million people WORLDWIDE dying from bird flu, IF it does mutate and make the jump to a human to human spreadable disease.

The world population is somewhere around 6.4 BILLION.

The US population is about 295 million.

So using some very rough math about 69000 people in the US will die.

So you have a .02 % chance of dying from bird flu, if it reaches “pandemic” stages.

Someone want to check my math? I’m doing this while troubleshooting a VXML application and being on a conference call.

I’m going to say the two main contributing factors in drug prices are:

1. high cost to develop and produce…and even develop ways to produce
  2. large profits.

But why would anybody start a company that costs so much to run while only expecting small profits?

But why would anybody start a company that costs so much to run while only expecting small profits?

exactly… it’s not capitalism if they’re limited on how much they could make. Love 'em or hate 'em, doing that (among other things) is seriously hurting corp. america

I mean, why would a company even stay here, opposed to going overseas if they aint making what they should be?

sure it’s a nice idea (forcing them to give handouts) but it’s not their job to do so.

I challeng your double word score for “Virii” .sounds made up. :hay: