KA-T HELP!!

So over the winter I did a ka-t on my coupe. Now that everything is done I went to start it up today, to find out that it doesnt run. The motor starts and idles around 1500 rpm then slowly rises so around 3000rpm by itself then drops down and bogs out. It also smells like rotton eggs and like it running super rich since my wideband wont even read it. I have an safc2 installed and have messed around with the setting but nothing has changed at all. Im going through all the vac lines and such and hear a whistling from the engine bay, also dont hear bov opening at all.

List of parts.
sr t25 turbo
generic bottom mount mani
braided lines
3 inch downpiipe
3 inch elbow
test pipe
hks hi power catback
cometic hg
arp head studs
freddy bov
smic
safc2
aem wideband

if there is anyone that has any experience with this and could get this thing running and running good, i will pay you to come to my house and do this.

it’s gotta be a major vacuum leak somewhere dude…

Check where you’ve routed all your vacuum lines and make sure they’re secure with no leaks.

Bobby from S1DC came by to lend a hand last night. We went through all the vaccum lines and eliminated a lot of stuff. We also found out that my intake manifold is leaking where I just put a brand new gasket in!

You do have a stock intake mani right? Did you put a metal gasket in? If so, be sure both faces are true and whether metal or not, proper torque always helps! Good luck!

Stock intake mani with a brand new oem non-metal replacement.

Intake problem fixed but still wont stay at an idle, keeps bogging out and dieing. I checked all other vac lines. Another couple thingss i noticed was my bov and wastegate not opening or moving at all. Should they be? They have an awesome vac line source to each. I also unplugged the safc2 and the car stayed between 1500 and 2000rpms but didnt bog out and die. Im begining to get so stumped

you should post on ka-t.org enough people have vacuum issues on there, they’ll be able to help you with first hand experience.

Good luck

just throwing a few ideas out there since I recently did a ka-t on mine and trouble shooted a lot of problems…

Make sure all intercooling piping is connected (check couplings).
Did you do a boost leak test? I highly recommend it, I found a good sized hole in my intercooler when doing this and a few loose vac hoses ( pay close attention to the one that runs to the stock fuel pressure regulator. Mine flew off and landed behind the motor. I could feel a shit load of air coming from behind motor when doing the boost leak test, thats how i found it. spray everything down with soapy water too to see where bubbles form. You said your BOV stays open? So I’m guessing you’re not recirculating it back into the intake? If you’re not, try plugging the venting portion with your hand or something and rev your motor via the throttle body. Check if it holds the idle a little better after doing that. You may have a leaking BOV. I did. What’s ur spark gap set at? .028 to .030 is what majority of ka-t guys seem to run on bkr7e plugs. How’s the charge on ur battery and alternator? Man, i know the headaches goin the ka-t route…but you learn a lot of shit. i did a t28…made only 225whp but she suffered serious heatsoak ( belt on waterpump no where to being tight and elec fans were not wired therefore not kicking in). I don’t recommend it but i did it. Have u driven the car at all with the stock ecu? I mean up and down ur street? Does she wanna bog out?

you did plug the idle air hose into one of the charge pipes right? http://www.makemilk.com/pic_hosting/s1495/diy/iacv_related/iacv_check1.jpg