KA24DE Exhaust Cam Swap.

Ya, I know, google, google, google. But to be honest I just come across a lot of junk and want to know if anyone on SON has first hand experience with it.

The whole idea here is I can supposedly put an exhaust cam on the intake side ( making it a 248/248) and pick up a few hp in high rpm. For those who don’t know, I race these things on an oval track and rev 4500-7000rpm lap after lap, and am willing to give up low end power for some top end gain.

The rules are everything must remain stock, so I don’t need any " just buy a set of aftermarket cams" comments.

If anyone on here has done it, and saw good gains, I will give it a try. But if not I won’t even bother at the risk of fucking something up.

Awaiting the “Just turbo it bro” comments

Just turbo it bro

I’ve done it and the butt dyno couldn’t tell the difference. Not trying to discredit it, it’s hard to distinguish a few HP without an actual dyno.

Ya, I’ve read that. The thing is you lose down low, so the people saying the see a gain in top end could just be because the low end is so shit now that when they hit high rpm it feels like it hits harder. Still can’t really find any dyno proof.

I would think that to get the benefit of the cam swap, a tune is necessary first. Hence why there isn’t a lot of proof on if its worthwhile. Most people that would do this, would have limited funds, so they probably wouldn’t tune it.

Are you allowed to run individual throttle bodies, or does the engine literately have to be completely stock?

Like completely stock. About the only thing I can do is run a short ram intake, and a straight through exhaust.

Hey Bro,

First time on here in a WHILE, but I did this on a stock KA back in the day. Stock ECU/Tuning, etc.

I used an s13?stock Exhaust cam on the s14 intake side. It was off by 4 degrees or something from what I understood. I remember it was very similar to the nismo spec ones…

Overall, I Loved it!

Changed the exhaust note, and it felt “slightly faster and torquier down low” This is awesome cause that’s where the KA makes power anyways.

Anyhow,
Hope it helps.

Peace

what about 4500-7000rpm?

I read about the cam swap long ago with claims of 5HP gain from 4K+ rpm. You could probably extract more power with a rom tune.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

There is a big write up somewhere, either zilvia or nicoclub about 40pages long with dyno charts and talk of adjustable gears etc…