KA24DE Idle Problems

Ive searched the forum on this topic but I havent found exacly the same thing that my car is doing. I have a 91 240sx ka24de and when I idle at 1000rpm it idles fine, but I turned down the idle to about 750-800rpm and im getting a random popping noise (misfire?) from exhaust that shakes the hole drivetrain. it doesnt have any pattern to it, totally random. it will run fine for a few seconds then pop a couple of times, then it will run fine again for a few seconds or minutes then pop again. I also noticed that between 2000rpm and 2800rpm if i hold it at the right spot it will also start misfiring. the car has new wires and plugs (plugs are bosch +4 i heard those are no good), no vacuum leaks that i can find. Any help would be much appreciated :).

Could try checking the oxygen sensor to see if the fuel’s too lean. My friend’s sorta having the same problem.

clean or get a new fuel filter, do an injector flush/ or use a cleaner …

or just rip the shit outta the car in second gear so if dregs are stuck it can blow them out

or maybe u tightened your plugs too much, you could have messed up the gap of the plug

Check your spark plug wire connections. I had that problem, it would also hesitate and studder when driving.

did you do the distributor cap/rotor at the same time?

since ive owned the car ive never done the distributor so i have no idea when that was last done

If it’s anything like mine, which it sounds like it is, it’s an electrical connection of some sort. I say, take off your distributor cap, clean that with contact cleaner (i bet there will be a nice carbon buildup on the rods), the proceed to pack every spark plug wire connection with dielectric grease, including the coil pack connection. See if that fixes your problem.

DO NOT CLEAN THEM

once you clean them it will fuck up for some reason. just buy a new one. dont be cheap they arent that much anyways.

Your logic makes no sense, cleaning them would make for a better contact. And why replace something when it’s not broken, especially on a KA.

lol even though it makes no sense to me at all, go search on nico. my friend learned the hard way. but after u read up on nico they say never clean them or they get fucked.

I had the exact same issue as you this week regarding the studdering/hesitation/idle hunting and it ended up being a bunch of gunk on the top of the spark plug connectors. That was it.

Where can I get some good dielectric grease?

Don’t know really, I think we got ours at canadian tire. Just ask around, I think it’s also called electric contact grease or something of the like.