Long time reader, very rare poster.
I’ve got a '72 Datsun 510 with a D21 KA24e mated to a 240sx tranny (PITA to find a starter that works).
Here’s the engine details:
- Yamaha R1 Mikuni carbs (rejetted) with 50mm velocity stacks, carbs are mounted on a Bogg Brother manifold.
- Timing started with an electronic Datsun L series distributor retrofitted to the KA timing cover, but I moved to MegaJolt EDIS-4 crank fire for more power/control.
- I rebuilt the engine with a .5mm overbore (89.5mm), with close to stock compression.
- JWT S1 cam replaces the D21 cam.
- Head is an eBay vendor rebuild with 3 angle valve, compression is 150-160psi.
- Exhaust is OEM manifold to a 2" exhaust.
- eBay lightweight flywheel
- OEM crank pulley with trigger wheel welded on the back
The car drives great, sounds really nice at WOT, and overall is quite strong - my Speedhut Speedometer GPS 0-60 feature shows high 6 seconds (shift into 3rd doesn’t help). I really enjoy the car but am looking for just a bit more power - 25-30hp/TQ would be perfect.
Understanding that there are limited gains (KA24e after all), should I bother with any or all of the likely additions:
- High comp pistons. I’m already running 91 Octane due to the bike carbs not liking Ethanol in the lower grades
- Customer header - any recommendations in Ontario
- Head Port & Polish - any recommendations in Ontario
Any other suggestions? With the tanking Cdn dollar I’m looking to limit ‘investment’ to $1000-1500.