Kitchen Remodel.....Completed!! Finally

^well played sir.

I’m not sure, I would suggest making the kitchen bigger, would it be possible to blow out a wall to make it more open and then maybe build a small addition to make the kitchen area bigger :gotme:

I dont drink alot of beer/alcohol but i keep some Guiness in the basement fridge.

If i was planning to stay here for more then 5 years i would…but i have other plans by then…

I was thinking about it but dont want to put that much $$$ into it as its only me and my wife for now.

basement fridge??

Normally I would :tdown: that, but i can respect the “not drinking a lot” thing…

Ok I see what your doing there, you want to open the kitchen up to make it flow better.

Honestly if I were you I would leave up all the tile backing and just put some nice dark granite in. Put some darker hardware on the cabinets, then paint the kitchen anythign but that green and call it a day.

if the wall is loadbearing, you’re going to have to keep the stud up in the meantime while u support the header, just dont jack it up too high or u will crack all of your plaster upstairs

Use a 2x10 with a piece of OSB in the center, and just nail the shit out of it from both sides, i wouldnt use anything smaller, especially on a load bearing wall
1Stud on each side, and then 2 jackstuds underneath it to support it

if u want to “open up” your kitchen, i would tear down all of the sophets, move the cabinets up about 4" and put crown up off the cabinets (idk if u know how to do this…, but it would look a lot better).

…looking at everything tho you have A LOT of tile in your kitchen, not just behind the cabinets, which sucks and kind of throws my other ideas out the window lol :meh:

I’m always interested in sidework… :slight_smile:

Thats what we are going to be doing, its just feel a little enclosed. and if i open up the wall it will bring the kitchen in to the dining room with a bar top.

haha josh’s pic had to note were up and down were.

Ok i measured the wall it was 7in thick. so how would i do the header? two 2x6 on outside and then 2x4 no plywood so that = 6in thick then 1/2 in drywall on both side = 1in totaling 7in?

3 2x6s and a sheet of 1/2" plywood. A 2-by is only 1 1/2" thick…

1.5 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 4.5; need the 1/2" still from the plywood.

Would that make me need 1" Drywall to make it 7in wide total?? which is over doing it? isnt 1/2 drywall good enough?

if you use 1 inch drywall, you’ll have a decent fire rating from both sides. Except for the really big opening.:lol:

yes, 1/2" is fine.

:picard: to myself… been a long week.

Just use 4 2x6s and 1/2" drywall…

wtf you gonna use for jack studs?

i think it would be quicker and easier to reframe that whole wall, 2x4 studs and the double 2x10 header. honestly, I have no idea what built up a 7" thick wall.

First hang up of the project…water pipes supply the water to upstair bathroom sink. Its directly in the middle of of everything.

I was gonna have it re-routed but have no clue how to even think about it.
I was thinking of calling a plumber and have them do it. But if its easy something I can do it myself I can.

There is also electrical wires. Can that just be extended? Can I splice it in and reroute that also?

if you splice it put in a box. it’s not like car electrical lol

are the pipes copper feeds or pvc returns (or gal?)
you’re prob going to have to cut off from the basement, and then go thru the floor plate , etc up the wall

…or just post a picture lol

I have a feeling this is going to get ugly.

Please have a professional who knows what he/she is doing come look at the project and give their expert advice.

Kitchen looks pretty functional to me. I would just repaint, and upgrade appliances. Maybe a few other touches, but no need to call the hgtv demo team.