Kitchen Remodel.....Completed!! Finally

next step, remove the soffit where there aren’t any cabinets.

looks wayyyy better

If you ever end up remodling your kitchen completely, i would eliminate ALL of the soffits

^that is the common theme in all the remodels I’ve done, its an “old” look.

I always recommend Kitchen World :slight_smile:

what did you do at the bottom of the wall cab. you put as a base? pic?

you going to leave the door and draw alignments like that? looks like a few door hinges are bent or broken?

soffit’s gotta go next time, other then that it looks like you used your space well :tup:

yes a header was put in i forgot to take some pictures there are two 2x6 and i had plywood on both side to fill the layer so drywall could be hung.

inside the soffit are the plumbing to the 2nd floor bathroom so i couldnt remove it.

to convert the wall cabinet to base cabinets the front plate of the cabinet was the only thing that i reused the rest was build behind it to match the cabinet beside it as it was only 20in deep so it was not the standard 30in deep base cabinets

some of the hinges were old and alittle bent.

yea it was a small kitchen and that opening makes it feel alot bigger then it is.

Nice work, I need to find some kitchen cabinets soon,

I did I full kitchen remodel in my house and kept the soffit. I actually shortened it from 12" to 6" (likewise went with 36" wall cabinets rather than 30"). I did a pretty elaborate crown molding though. It looks awesome.

^ pics?,

I would have taken it out and gone with 42" cabinets but I dont have enough room, I have 30s now with a 6" soffit

note, it’s not 100% complete

edit: What height is your ceiling at? What height is your countertop at?

^ that looks good, I am not sure on the ceiling height or coutertop, the ceiling is not that high.

those cabinets look good, are those cherry?

cherry stain…once I have better pics of the kitchen, I’ll make a thread

If you have standard 8ft ceilings then you should have 30" cabinets with 12" soffit. If that is not the case, then you probably have ~24" inches between your countertop and your cabinets. In that case, you can drop your cabinets down on the wall. Standard between countertop and wall cabinets is 18".

36" base
18" gap
36" cabinet
6" gap/soffit

96" total

These threads make me want to tear out some walls and take pictures.

Looks better. :tup:

every house we’ve done we have always torn out the soffit, it gives the kitchen a lot more “openess” … and then just run crown on top of the cabinets

We should have a “post your kitchen” thread