Knewman's Knuckle

impressive as usual. I’ve still yet to play with the threading gearbox on my lathe…I gotta try it sometime and see how it comes out.

Let me know when you’re going to try, because there are a lot of little things that you need to do and I’ll come give you a hand. Also, you have to take super small cuts, regardless of thread size (like .003 on the compound). That 3/4-16 thread took like 20 passes.

I’d appreciate the hell out of that. will def let you know.

Kamilitaryman’s dad was with me when I bought this thing and he demo’d the threading gearbox before I bought it, but just did a rough pass or two to make sure it works and didn’t fully set it up. I have a project in mind where I’d want to cut ACME thread on a tube and then make a collar to thread on that…I have the little gauge for cutting a HSS but to cut the thread and have watched a few videos on doing it but haven’t played with it yet.

I know you prefer to save money on tooling but I was trying and failing with HSS. Got a used holder for a TMNA insert and never looked back.

I’m sure you’re familiar with similar products, but I used Shine Seal on our polished or brushed wheels and other polished bits and it really holds up. Wheels were always just soap, water, dry and no re-polishing.

Thanks. I have a box of shine seal in my locker. Going to put it on the hubs before I lace them. I decided against using the glisten PC.

Really good work!

World class. Still say you should just open a shop and do this for a living. Easily charge 150$ an hour labor, more for R&D.

When your hobby becomes a job it’s no longer fun.

Thanks for the compliment. Maybe some day, but at this point it’s not sustainable. Even at 50/hr, most people probably couldn’t afford me to do truly custom builds.

Goddamn. Haven’t checked in in a while…can’t wait to see it all come together.

A Dremel could get into those tiny little corners to polish them.

It also helps when you have access to all this nice equipment. Not taking anything away from the build, it’s very nice and obviously takes a lot of skill.

Saw a few post on the IG, but reading this takes me through all the punishment polishing has been giving you. Kudos to all your hard work.

You might think that but you’re wrong. Haha. I have spent about 3500 bucks on sanding equipment including so many dremel bits but there is nothing that will last long enough to be effective in stainless. I worked one square for an entire day with dremel bits and it wasn’t enough. Keep in mind an extra fine grinding stone is only about 80 grit. Even if you get it down to that consistently, it’s still a long long way from a polished finish.

• Updated - - -

What nice equipment though? A 6000 dollar Bridgeport and 3000 dollar lathe? I don’t really use anything other than normal shop tools, you could get them easily. Most of the tools that I use have been purchased by me anyway, save for the two I just mentioned.

• Updated - - -

Thanks. It’s so much work. I can’t even convey it in a post.
I already have over 100 hours in polishing parts alone. It is a lot of work for sure. The bike is barely a pile of parts and it’s got 200+ hours in it.

I don’t think people realize what a complete custom build costs. If you read up on the big shops like Dues and similar, they LOSE money on building bikes…they make the money on merchandising and branding. That’s why there’s more companies specializing in a few custom parts, people are more willing to spend a couple grand on fancy shit that makes a build easier to do at home.

You’d probably have to move to a baller city for the right clientele.

Nobody does. Ever. Even people who “work on cars and bikes” have no idea what it takes to actually build stuff to this level. I’m not trying to be elitist, it’s just beyond what most people think by MILES.

agreed. I’m playing with legos compared to the level you’re building at.

The thing is, their money would go so much further just buying something new or prebuilt. When this bike is done I probably will have invested over 2000 man hours and enough cash to buy a Panigale R and 10-15K in accessories on top of that. But there is something that, to me, is worth more than the end product, and that’s the pride in the process and learning.