Knife sharpening

The pocket knife thread made me realize there is a pretty good amount of knife knowledge here.

So what are you all using to sharpen your higher end knives? Right now all I have is a steel so I know I need to spend some money on some good sharpening tools.

I use a 2 sided sharping block and about an hour.

povinelli on union, it’s a dollar

I am no way skilled enough in that trade - Ive tried a few times with a stone but failed miserably. I would suggest for a higher end knife getting it done professionally. I got a guy out in Utah who is top notch and will give you a razor sharp edge.

But I am sure there are local people here who can do the job quite well.

Seriously…a buck? Do they sharpen all knives or only kitchen blades?
Like could they do hollow ground etc…

I’ll have to check it out.

Tom Krein is well worth the time and money to ship it off if you need a custom regrind etc…
My Emerson Commander he reworked is like a freekin laser

ive used the ceramic cross sticks and they seem to be ok unless the blade is really rough and torn up, but a hone block and some time work good too

I have one of these http://www.knivesplus.com/lansky-knife-sharpener-lk-lkdmd.html

Its good enough that you can sharpen a surgical scalpal.

if you have a knife made by one of the decent company’s you can just send it in and they will refurbish it and sharpen it for shipping cost. If you have more than one pocket knife this is the best way to go imo.

My grandfather taught me so much but we just never got around to the art of really sharpening a knife with a block. I wish we would have because when he got done with a blade I swear you could do the cartoon trick of dropping a human hair on it and splitting it right down the middle.

One of those man skills I’m definitely going to pick up. Yeah, I can get it done cheap enough but it’s far more manly to do things yourself. :slight_smile:

I sharpen shit all day at work but unfortunately its not really a thing where i could add side jobs in. I use a diamond and silicone wheel.

Take some time, it’s not hard to learn but it takes a minute to perfect it. I’ve used stones, cross-cut holder types and sharpening sticks to all the same degrees of success. It’s whatever you feel comfortable doing.

+1 with JayS on adding it as a man skill. I think it’s a must know.

For a SOG knife, you send them back to the manufacturer with a money order for 9 dollars, they refurbish the knife and sharpen it, then oil the blade.

I want to learn as well. My curved blades make it difficult/impossible with a block and the ceramic rods are a must. Anyone want to have a get together, like a mini seminar on how to become a man and sharpen properly? I’ll chip in.

steels are for temp. or immediate use. you need to use water stones(under 1000 grit) to establish the edge first, which takes about one hour or more depending on the thickness of blade. then 4000 grit for maintaining and 8000 grit is more like polishing/shine.

Thats why the lansky system is the way to go, it sets the angle so you can’t mess that up and comes with all the stones you need.

Yea thats what I would use too… I really don’t know how you could fuck that up either…

there is this guy that goes to the farmers market every weekend so I just go there and he sharpens my knives or a dollar a piece… COMPLETE WIN because the are so sharp sometimes just touching my blade will give me a papercut slice

Thats why it’s nice. it gives you a very consistant stroke when you sharpen, so the blade comes out literaly razor sharp.

Yes it’s dirt cheap. They did my pocket knife and 6 of my kitchen knives for $12