Pocket Knife Gurus

Does anyone on here carry a pocket knife? My brother usually carries one and I thought a nice knife would make a good Christmas present, but I have no idea what brand etc. to look for. All i know is that it would be a folding knife, nothing crazy as far as size. Any direction would be great!

SOG
Cold steel
Benchmade
Kershaw

Are all good brands, you really can not go wrong.

I have a the Leatherman Skeletool cx multi tool. I like it better then just a simple pocket knife. It’s one of the more simple and light ones but that’s why I like it.

Kershaw

/thread

These dudes have been making blades like 20x longer than the US has been a country. All my chef knives are kershaw and I carry a great assisted-opening kershaw pocket knife.

I’ve owned Gerbers/SOG/Benchmade, and they’re alright, the Gerber was exceptionally good at keeping a point. But in terms of sharpness and quality, Kershaw all the way.

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/51/51319/BRK-KS1660CKT.jpg

Mine is the assisted-opening version of this knife. Brutally sharp double bevelled awesomeness.

i believe i have the same exact knife except it has snap on’s name slapped on it, and a heaver price tag. (90 bucks i think) my tool guy gave it to me for spending ass loads of money on tools and probably put one of his kids through collage lol. awesome blade. sharpens up nicely, stays sharp for awhile (i use mine everyday in a auto shop doing ungodly things that i have broken many tips and blades of knives doing lol) snap on will warrenty it no matter what happens to it i was told as well.

Love my Kershaw and the assisted opening action. I had Buck too, but couldn’t hold an edge nearly as well as the Kershaw can.

/ thread
I LOVE my kershaw. I had 2 in the last 3 years, Just went to something bigger. Assist open is great.

Yikes, alot of people carry knives…

I have one on me daily…but I use it often at work.

Kershaw’s kick ass but I carry a Gerber becasue it is cheaper and if I lose or brake it I don’t mind.

Get him a nice asset open. Find out if he likes black out, brushed, polished etc.

I wish my kershaw was black, still works fine tho

I use Smith and Wesson Special Ops. Great knofe. Haven’t sharpened it yet after a year of abuse.

I am a fan of spyderco

Agreed, when I go camping I bring my cheapo gerber incase I need to do something that’s awful for knives. Even if the Kershaw is just as or more durable than the Gerber, it still makes you feel bad abusing one. haha

all the guys in our shop use kershaw/snap on

if you want a knife you can abuse the shit out of pick up a cold steel. They are some tough mother fuckers.

Kershaw is a great knife, it is actually my current daily carry knife, but the steel they use is “softer” than some of the other companies listed above.
This allows them to have a little more flex, but also they tend to loose an edge sooner than the others.

Find one that fits your hand, and your pocket. If it is not comfortable in your pocket you will not carry it.

another snap-on kersaw here. call it my $20k knife.

A couple of the guys i work with, and myself carry CRKT. Not terribly expensive, around $100, but they keep a good edge and have some nice features. I personally carry an M16 style like the one in the picture. Mine was 80 bucks i believe.

Spiderco on the low end.
Emerson on the mid range.
Strider on the higher end.

You need to define better what kind of purpose the blade is providing tho.
There are so many models it’s insane.

http://newgraham.com/store/department/1/Knives/
This site is pretty good for pics and references.

My small one is a Leatherman, carry it all the time:

http://www.shop4leatherman.co.uk/leatherman_e302_knives.jpg

My larger non-folding one I carry for camping and whatnot is a J Marttiini (from Finland):

another cool place to check out reviews is a user on youtube called “nuthinfancy” he reviews all kinds of shit, and he is usually pretty good. However he can get rather annoying at times.