Lake Erie

How the hell do you get into Erie Basin Marina?

:stuck_out_tongue: I went out into the lake tonight for the first time. It was glorious! Calm as glass. I guess you hardly ever see the lake like it was tonight.

Anyhow, Iā€™ve been studying the Upper Niagara NOAA chartso that I donā€™t accidentally my boat. Are the buoys marking the channel into the inner harbor not out yet? When do they put them out?

It didnā€™t affect my night because I didnā€™t want to go there, but I was hoping to see where to go for next time when I do want to go in there.

Kinda OT butā€¦You have to be REALLY careful in that area. The area between the marina and the mouth of the river is VERY shallow near that breakwall thing very far out.

Yep. Itā€™s surprising how many spots of what looks like a huge body of water are only a couple feet deep. There are like 4 major reefs at the mouth of the river, the whole south end of Grand Island, a few other spots.

The second time we had my dads boat out (we werenā€™t familiar with boating or the area) we hit bottom on the reef in the mouth of the river. It bent the bottom of the out drive, and ruined the prop. We got lucky, it obviously could have been much much worse. That site you linked to is really nice to haveā€¦I never knew about it.

My parents and I used to cruise there all the time when I was youngerā€¦we always went out around the round water intake house, as going between it and the shore where Lasalle Park is, we whacked like two props on various shallows. If you donā€™t know EXACTLY where youā€™re going, itā€™s better to take the 10 minutes and go around. Hereā€™s a map of where we used to go to get from the river to the Marina:

Also, watch your speed inside the breakwallsā€¦the cops (used to, at leastā€¦) like to pull people over for going to quickā€¦

Let me know if that map doesnā€™t workā€¦

78.56ā€™ 42.54"

That grid square right side of it. Buffalo river entrance.

He doesnā€™t have any kind of significant draw. As long as he stays away from Horseshoe reef. Heā€™ll be fine. You can kind of see the area because of the usual thick seaweed growth that floats to the top and is viable.
Thereā€™s a few spots, you just need to go see where they are. Youā€™ll never have a problem with them again.

werd, I/O boats only draw about 1.5 ft of water when they are up on plane. Does it really get that shallow? When in doubt, trim up and pin the gas.

Ah, I figured out a way to get in there care free without buoys marking the dredged channel. Go around the abandoned lighthouse and water intake, then point towards the Buffalo Lighthouse.

That area is pretty simple to navigateā€¦

Stay away from the round houseā€¦ (if Goin from small boat harbor to the river go around the red bouy that sits an 1/8 mile SW of the round house an then head up the river)

Dont go between the breakwall and the round houseā€¦

Dont go between grand island and strawberry islandā€¦

Stay in the middle of the river when traveling between the peace bridge and the railroad bridge.

ORā€¦

take the Canal and avoid all that.

Yes. Go all the way up to the ā€œofficialā€ mouth of the river. Itā€™s marked with a red buoy, I believe EU4. Youā€™ll go past the abandoned light and the water intake, turn left, head for the main entrance light. Youā€™ll be golden. If you have any more questions donā€™t hesitate to PM me. Iā€™m a professional licensed captain and Iā€™m on the river/lake everyday.

Red = my day time route when I can see whatā€™s going on.

Green = night time modification when thereā€™s no moon to get basic navigation points.

Basically I come out of the river, go about 1/2 way between the red and green cans, then cut straight toward the breakwall that ends at horseshoe reef. When youā€™re about 1/2 way to the breakwall make a slight course correction toward the lake to make sure you go around horseshoe reef.

So is the lake really hardly ever calm and smooth. Last night was soooo niceā€¦

HAHA. I grounded there once. By the water intake. Also be careful between strawberry island and the other little island johnson.

Itā€™s very rare that the lake is really calm.

And as a rule, just donā€™t go between Strawberry Island and the one marked ā€œPirate Iā€ on the chart. I thought it was called Motorboat Island but regardless, you can almost walk between the two without getting your shorts wet. It is possible to cut through there with a boat but you have to know exactly where to go. It takes almost no time to go around them on either the channel side or the GI side, just stay far enough away from GI to avoid the rocks that stick way out from the point.

during the day it is hard to find smooth water but at night it normally calms down a bit.

for all you fisherman, in between strawberry island that that other island, theres some old, broken down docks. if you can get your boat in there, theres decent sized american shad(catch for bait in the deeper water), and some species of fish that iā€™ve never been able to identify. bright orange with a dark red tail. this is the only place that iā€™ve ever seen them.

Lake Erie has more shipwrecks that most. The end of year storms are well known for taking lives. Mostly because the water stays fairly shallow until you get of the WNY area and a little beyond.

generally in the late after noon it calms down and is real nice.

Whatā€™s the water temp ?

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/buf/laketemps/laketemps.php