laptop recommendations

Looking to upgrade and figured you nerds would be able to find me a decent out of box laptop. Im looking for a large HD, good graphics for movie viewing and shit for my three years left in school (business degree related) under $800 (typical I know). I use a huge desktop but its old and slow for all my music and such. Im just looking for something more compatible to move around. My old crappy laptop was a hand-me down and isnt worth fixing. Ive got a great list of junk out on the web just looking for what you locals think! Thanks dudes!

man up for a macbook pro. You will never regret it. Anddddd its trendy breh.

This.

you can get a lot for around $800. just picked a refurbished hp dv-6 intel core i5 4gb ram, 500gb. for $360 shipped two weeks ago.

No Mac, overpriced as all hell. Half the price you pay is for computer parts and half for the little apple on it and the marketing behind it.

I’d go Dell Outlet for a refurb. There are coupon codes all the time on slickdeals and techbargains for ~20% off and you can get a great computer for the money. Spend the extra couple hundred with the money you save for the 3-year at home warranty, because you WILL need it, with any brand, and enjoy.

I got my macbook for $940 out the door from best buy, they also threw in a $100 gift certificate that i put toward my go-pro. Expensive? Yes. Worth the price? IMO yes. Pick up a macbook and just feel the build quality. I really like that the fans are not running constantly and it doesn’t get hot. The whole layout is easy to use for those of us that are not computer savvy. Im not spreading Mac propaganda, just a satisfied customer.

you should have looked around black friday time. there was some pretty decent deals, even on higher end laptops

Bullshit when comparing Windows laptops of the same class and construction likeness the price differences almost disappear. Compare a Thinkpad equipped similar.

If this is a laptop that will be used for lugging around and used what a laptop is meant for then go for Thinkpad or MacBook Pro.

I’ve had nothing but bad luck with my Thinkpads for work. A lot of people have bad experiences with Dell but mine have always been good. Any issues are more than negated by the at home warranty.

For the price of a lesser equipped MacBook Pro he could get a Dell with an i7, plenty of ram, and a big hard drive. Build quality isn’t an issue because if it breaks, they’re at your house fixing it the next day. No Geniuses necessary.

This is such a hard topic to talk about when we have Mac lovers and windows lovers, I like them both and have had them all… All I have to say is go on newegg they have some good deals right now… And I will say dell has improved over the years I got my brand new Alienware m11x, i5, 8gb ram, 500gb hdd and nvidia 335gt mobile video card, laptop for $750 shipped to my door with a employee discount and coupons. And IBM laptops don’t suck they are great business laptops and were well built I still have a a31p laptop that works amazing for its day…

You get next day home support with personal laptops from Dell?

I would watch dealnews.com or slickdeals.net for a good deal on a laptop. I’d avoid the newer AMD chipsets in laptops, they tend to get even hotter than comparable Intel laptops. Other than that, almost any modern processor you get in a laptop will be fast enough for normal usage, so picking up an Acer or something probably isn’t a bad option at this point.

Apart from that, I’ve had great experiences with Thinkpads and heard good things about Dell quality lately so I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Don’t need it… but I could of at the time…

I thought that was a business only thing not a home user thing

Yea but I got to utilize it at my old job, I was allowed to get the discount too

Yep, as long as you get the extended warranty. My 3 year is up next week time for all new plastics and a new mobo :lol:

I should of got a warranty on my laptop but I don’t use it as much as I do my desktop, I am kicking myself in the ass tho because the hinges are fucked up on my laptop. They did a piss poor design on them! Oh well nothing I can’t tackle it would be like my 100th time doing hinges lol