Laptop recovery..

my brother is down in north carolina and he took his computer to best buy since its under warranty still for geek squad so he doesnt pay anything for the repairs… but they just told him that it crashed and that he lost everything.

now he has a lot of stuff on there, writings, pics, videos, etc etc a lot of important stuff…

now i dont think it can just crash and lose everything , it sounds like they are just saying “we give up so u can get a $1200 credit for a new one at best buy”

so he called them back and said “hey i have realllly important stuff on there, i need the data” and they said “ok we will see if we can get it, we’ll call you back”

so thats the point he is at now, and afterwards they should still give his laptop back right? cuz i told him i bet i could find someone to get the data back as i dont know if GS is going all out for it.

worse comes to worse he gets a $1200 credit, but i said even if that happens, GET UR OWN LAPTOP BACK… (BB said "i dont think they destroyed the computer yet) <-- do they do that? ‘oh it crashed, to the garbage it goes’ ?

ida know, thoughts? anything i should tell him to tell BB ?

he has a Sony Vaio

I’m sure they have a hard drive enclosure for a laptop drive. Remove laptop drive, drop in enclosure, attach enclosure to a good desktop, copy off the files, burn them to DVD and since it’s BB… HUGE PROFIT.

That’s assuming it’s not the hard drive that died, but if that was the case I doubt they would be calling the laptop dead.

no he shouldn’t get his laptop back… when you buy a car that’s a lemon and they replace the car you don’t get to keep the lemon also. he does deserve to get his data back if possible.

Tough to make a call without checking it out, or knowing the full problem.

tell them you will sue them. i don’t care about the lemon laws or other analogies. tell them you have intellectual property that is considered propriotory and confidential in nature. you will sue them if you dont get that hard drive.

word… the data is recoverable one way or another regardless if the drive died.

if its worth it to you you can pay data recovery places if the hard drive in fact fried

If it is actually important, I wouldn’t want the cronies at Best Buy trying to do the data recovery.

The data is definitely recoverable. Take it to a place that specializes in data recovery.

Guys, before you get into expensive data recovery it would help to know what exactly is wrong with the laptop. If it’s anything but the hard drive that failed the “data recovery” is simply putting the drive in a working computer (either another laptop or in an enclosure for a desktop) and copying the files off.

But if you’ve got money to burn go ahead and pay a grand or more for someone like drivesavers to make you a dvd of your data.

i wonder if a warranty be voided if u try to do the service urself, and then fail at it, and then give it to them to also fail and get a credit

Yea its probably easily recoverable they just suck at life over there.

yea im not saying you need to send it out… im saying IF the hard drive is “dead” it is still recoverable.

ok im trying to get ahold of him , i just dont want BB to get rid of the laptop before he has a chance to try and get it back

unless the laptop was shipped away to geek squad city in kentucky… it’s still at the store… and will not be going anywhere.

we used to get returned best buy laptops…

Their techs are absolute douches, they don’t do anything to repair the laptops, they just send them back for credit.

All of them were very fixable, most common problem was hard drive failure, or bad memory stick. I have never seen worse (besides screen issues)

Take the 1200 bucks and sell the card on ebay for 1150, then watch slickdeals to throw a cheapo laptop deal up and buy that and profit.