LCD HDTV Tech Question

Ive been doing my research and decided Im getting a new TV.

Here are the possible setups Ive narrowed it down to :

BRAND : LG
SIZE : 46"
REFRESH : 240hz

BRAND : Samsung
SIZE : 47"
REFRESH : 240hz

BRAND : LG
SIZE : 55"
REFRESH : 120hz

BRAND : SAMSUNG
SIZE : 55"
REFRESH : 120hz

I want to go with a 55" 120hz. BUT here is where my question comes in :

• Ive HEARD big 55" screens with 120hz are a FAIL for sports and some gaming.
    Thats a problem for me because gaming and soccer are a big part of why Im
    spending the l00t.

• After going to BestBuy I never realized whether or not the 120hz big-screen (55")
    had this problem because they just play DVD’s throughout the store (or CCTV w/e).

I can’t get both. Its either 120hz 55" or 240hz 46-47". IS the extra inch-age worth the extra $800?

Opinions/discussion plz

http://www.markhamappliances.ca/uploads/product_a_566.jpg

Samsung TV’s are NICE. I have one. My brother has one. No issues. Beautiful image.

As far as extra inchage vs extra money. For $800 that’s, no.

120HZ looks amazing on my 52 Bravia. I’d look at the Bravia line. Samsung is a bit too dark for me. I did a lot of research on avforums.com as I saw a lot of similiar contrast/HZ/etc… but the picture varied.

I personally went with Samsung 61" love it no complaints,beautiful coloring…very sharp and clean image BUT I also went for a Slimline DLP

DLP is old news.

I hate Samsung as a company for some shit they did to a semiconductor equipment company, but I’d pick them over LG, they have great picture/build quality.

120Hz is more than sufficient

If you want a bigger 55inch get it… Its takes a serious videophile to even care about 120HZ vs 240HZ

for fuck sake most were 60HZ still a few years ago and people were like ZOMG LOOKS AMAZING…

The TV with 240HZ will look slightly more fluent in fast paces action scenes, honestly most people wouldent notice the differance…

Its more in the monitors ability to smooth the picture (as the tv signal is still only 30FPS)… basicly the monitors adding in its own information to make the picture look more fluent without a ghosting/shaodwing as things move across the screen

Yo DUDES

You’re missing the point.

Im not asking for opinions on which brand to go with etc.

Im asking - If I get a big 55" screen, will it look like ass with 120hz. Like I said - I HEARD screens 50"+ in 120hz get laggish and due to their size compromise image quality.

i would either go with the 46 or 47 inch with the 240hz, the size isnt to much bigger and I think you will have a better quality picture with the 240hz, especially if you watch sports and what not

No it wont look like ass the picture quality is the same between 120HZ aand 240HZ…

Its more about the fluentness of the picture and you wont notice it.

I thought the same until I went to Best Buy and checked them all out after being aware of the specs. I knew Samsung has a 100,000:1 contrast ratio vs most 70,000:1 and determined that to be pretty unnoticeable.

The 240hz WAS def. an improvement you can see but again, they put shit on the screen that shows the strong points only. Side by side with 120hz for hockey/soccer/video games made 240hz look 3D.

Screen size should be determined by how close or far you will be sitting from the display.

Enjoy! -> http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Looking at TVs at Best Buy or any place is the problem. They are more than often configured shitty.

The contrast ratio is bullshit get that out of your head right now…

That meerly an advertising gimmick

yes it matters but not in the context of which most of the places show their specs…

And yess if your sitting closer than 15 feet from a 55 inch screen it probably will look shiter than a 47 inch… same goes with most TV’s you get real close to it, it looks like shit

QFT!!

Not many people seem to realize that the TV’s birghtness and contrast are usualy jacked right up…

Anyways read online reviews… Dont listen to the retards in best buy…

Dont go by what you see on display there…

Well everyone knows smaller TVs have better picture quality. The signal your going to feed the TV is still only 1080 pixels wide, different TVs have different pixel size, but IMO there comes a point where a 1080p signal to a 65" TV doesn’t look as good it does on a 42-45" tv.

haha my post doesnt have anything to do with your question, sorry :lol

The human eye only sees in 60hz. 120hz is great for sports. Very clear motion. IF you watch a lot of sports this truly is best. I have been looking into and watching the 240hz tvs in all different sizes and although all the companies i sell for swear 240hz is king I would rather go with the larger 120hz tv. Everything I watch in 240hz on the displays just seems oddly unreal. Its like better than life and for some movies there is just so much detail and so much going on you actually cant follow the action on a larger tv 42" and up.

I would suggest the 120hz tv. All the tv’s you listed do not have trouble with 120hz on bigger screens. That really plays into projectors on wall and crappy brands and such such not any of the TVs listed above. What you might run into is viewing issues if you are too close as your eyes just cant process everything that is going on. its actually not the tv.

hope that helped at all

Well it would look fine if you were in a good size room and far enough away from it

but I love people who have 60" tvs like that in a small apartment… 2 ft away from it… think its the hottest looking thing… and im like Ugh how can you even watch that…

I realize both brands in question are legit and prob. are VERY close to the same when tweaked to personal settings.

I wish I could check out both and mess with the settings and watch reg. cable/play a game of COD/watch a BluRay - THEN make my decision.

But I can’t - thats why Im asking here lol