60 hz v 120 hz LCD?

I am going to be purchasing a new LCD soon and don’t really want to spend a ton of money at the moment.

Can anyone inform me on the perceptible difference between 60hz LCDs and 120hz LCDs? I’ve done the research and know the difference on paper, but does anyone have any real-world experience to offer some input?

Are 60hz really that awful for sports/fast-moving action movies?

how big of a tv, its been debated on here about 100 times. i think the tv boxxa ended up buying a 120hz and he loved it on a 42inch

40in

Tried a search, but with the weird terms people use in the thread titles I’m not surprised I didn’t find anything.

edit: nm found the thread without spaces in the 120hz descriptor

edit 2: Still not much in that thread as far as usable opinion.

They certainly aren’t awful. But there is a difference. However, let me ask you this. Do you play video games at all? Or will this TV be hooked to your computer? Because you might want to consider a Plasma in that case. IIRC the frequency on most plasmas is in the 480Hz range. Dex should come in here and rock your world with info, though.

I love my 120Hz set. I can stand a foot away from it (46") and not see motion blur or refresh. My brother has a similar TV but 60Hz and you can’t sit too close or you can see.

What are you planning to spend? I was going to get a 40" Samsung 120Hz set and went with a 46" after reading the reviews on “size of room” and blur. I ended up with the 46" and am 100% satisfied. I may have even gone 52" 120Hz if I knew how awesome it was going to be!

I live out in Amherst if you’d like to actually stop by and see the TV in action in a home, and not in the store… you’re more than welcome (by Sheridan and Youngs)

Ya I have it on my 120hz tv. It was $1000 so I am happy with it. Pretty nice for gaming and even tv shows flow better it seems. I have it in my bedroom so its really easy to see motion blur when its off since I sit closer to it than a typical person would.

I’ve read that for broadcast sports 60hz is fine. It’s only when it comes to watching Bluray that the difference become apparent.

See this post:

The 120hz has nothing to do with fast motion. It only affects the side pixels when slow panning 24fps movies. Sports is broadcast as 60hz video, so 120hz would have no noticeable effect until this changes. The 120hz format also has minor glitches. (still using 3:2 pulldown). I would recommend that if you are going to purchase a TV now, save your money and get a 60hz, at least till the next year or two when the new models come out and see if they up the processing speed and add 5:5 pulldown. Refresh times are vastly more important for fast motion.

I don’t do gaming and will be using this mostly for watching movies and HD/SD broadcasts. No Bluray or other HD films either. I mostly just do the typical 700mb-1gb movies I download via torrent.

Also, this only has to serve its purpose for maybe 2-3 years, then I’ll be upgrading. Is the cost of an early upgrade now even worth it for a 2-3 year use?

Paulo, I will view movies piped from my computer, but will not use it as a workspace.

Clean Baldy, I’m planning to spend around $700 for a 40" 1080p 60hz Aquos. That is also about the max of my budget right now. I would go with a 120hz 37" namebrand if I could find one.

samsung makes a 120 hz 37". ln37b650 is the model if i remember correctly. EDIT: way over what you have budgeted to spend though.

i don’t think 120 hz is worth it on a tv that small though. how far are you sitting from the TV? what’s the lighting like in your room? particularly window placement? if it’s not too bright and no DIRECT sunlight from windows on the TV, you’ll get much better performance from a plasma for the money you want to spend.

Since you live down the road from me, you can come check out mine if you want.

I got a 42" plasma… Its 720p, but I don’t need 1080p right now as I don’t have bluray or PS3 etc and will be upgrading in 2-3 years.

It works. Thanks guys

ewww, 42" and only 720p?

What make/model?

And who cares if you don’t have a blu ray player? DC++ fool. Download blu ray quality shit all day long.

Sammy PN42B450

42" plasma, ya… I was under the impression that plasma gets really expensive at 1080p resolution. Plus at under 46" it’s difficult to tell the difference anyway.

aaaand I have a mac so I cannot access DC++, I wish I could. I will be downloading more movies in 720p though, as that looks great and is the native resolution.

at more than 6 feet away it really doesn’t matter on that size.

good move. with your budget, you made a great choice. personally i prefer panasonic, but to each their own. plasma doesn’t really get expensive because it’s 1080P. panasonic makes a TC-P42U1 that is probably about 200 dollars more than what i’m guessing you paid. either way, nice purchase. where did you buy it?

+1. 1080p on a smaller than 46" TV is a waste of money, you cant tell the difference unless you’re sitting 1 foot away from the tv…

Also 60 vs 120 hz I’d go with the 60, its barely noticeable…and who watches TV anyways? Download everything free with no commercials! =P

Picked up a Sony 40", 60 hz, 720p, TV a year ago brand new Best Buy for $450. (Let me know what you’re looking for and I can probably find you a good deal too)

get the 120hz.

go for the 240hz!

I have had a Sammy 52" 650 series with 120 hz for about 6 months and loved it.
The detail you see in movies you never noticed is crazy.
I also have a 32" 720p 60 hz Vizio for the bedroom and you can’t compare the two especially watching sports.

There’s not an LCD on the market I would buy for myself currently.

You know you can watch 1080i TV over the air right for free?

Thanks, I picked it up at BestBuy. After taking a look at 60hz/120hz LCDs and the plasmas and doing the feature cost/benefit analysis, I’m pretty satisfied with my decision. My only complaint so far is at night when I have the volume very low I can hear a faint hum emanating from the set. Not sure if this is normal. If so, I’ll just have to get used to it.

Broadcast HD is only at 720p, currently. <–edit: My bad, you’re right. Some stations use 1080i as well. Either way 1080p is not needed.