techno geeky people help 60hz vs 120hz

So the wife and I want to buy a new TV on black friday. We want a 40 or 42 inch, whatever the best deal with can get. I’m getting tripped up on the 60hz vs 120hz. I understand that the refresh rate of 60 means it refreshes the on screen image 60 times a second. Then 120 is 120 times a second. My question is does it really matter either which way for me? We have HD cable and I play PS3 online from time to time. So will I notice a big difference or any difference between the 2?

I have a 60hz and play a lot of games, I do notice the difference from time to time, things will slightly shift and not be crazy clear, but still clear. I mean split seconds here, but I would have preferred a 120hz. There are some 240hz lcd, that I have heard looks almost fake on anything HD, but I have yet to play games on one of those sets.

Over all it is not a HUGE deal, I still love playing Ps3 on my 60hz

120hz and 240hz are primarily for 3D technology. If you do not plan to watch 3D movies, etc. then you will be ‘a okay’ with 60hz.

let me just say this and let the hate begin,

LCD sucks!!!

LED is only slightly better

Plasma owns all.

if u watch movies, action movies mostly than u will hate your 60hz tv with a passion.

You should be fine with 60HZ…

You will notice “slight blurring” with a 60hz LCD TV in high action scenes vs a 120HZ with tru motion or whatever their calling it, dont let that throw you off, people make it out to be more than it really is… I honestly dont like a lot of TV’s with those features turned on anyways feels to fake to me.

Honestly if you dont have issues with movies in the theatres, or most of the LCD’s you have seen (a lot of people still have 60HZ TVs) then you should be fine. Don’t let people put all this shit in your head.

Plasmas are the bomb when it comes to refresh rate, and their prices are down… and while plasmas have come quite a long way im not ready to “trust” them yet if you will

Also worry about

Size VS Distance vs 720/1080p

If you have a 42" TV and your sitting 12ft + back from it dont worry about having to have 1080p, chances are it wont look all that much differant to you that far back

anything bigger then well 1080p will probably look significantly clearer to you

Look up reviews first hand, never go by the setup in stores unless they are willing to let you play with all of the settings… most tvs contrast/brightness are cranked way up and almost anything will look good among a pile of other tvs on a sub par signal split across 30 TV’s

A great deal may seem like a great deal until you get it home and it wasnt what you were exspecting, especially if its your first good HDTV Setup

and EMAN

LCD and LED is the same fucking thing grrrrr i get so angry when people fuck that up… LED TV’s are still an LCD panel… the difference is the backlighting is done by LED’s vs florescent lamp

Also CALIBRATION IS KEY… a good calibrated sub par TV can look 10x better than most peoples exspensive ass TV’s because their not calibrated right

Don’t know what you’re talkin bout. I have a 26" Samsung LCD TV (720p and 60hz) and movies look absolutely fine on it.

You must have super hero eyes and see the slightest drop in FPS.

Plasma/LCD are pretty much equal these days. LCD for a while was ahead because Plasma had the burn in issues, but now with orbitors built in, that’s no longer a problem.

You want my opinion? Shady might disagree but I’d say go LED LCD. Why?

Plasma-like blacks on top of most of LCD’s advantages, high energy efficiency and ultraslim design.

I’m personally planning to get this model eventually or something similar:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102327

Call me a fan boy, but I won’t look at any other TV but a Samsung. I love my 26" Samsung. I’ve had it for more than a year and it’s my PC/XBox/TV display (which means I use it for many many hours a day) and I have had not a single issue with it.

It’s mostly hype, NTSC content is only 30fps anyhow, so the same frame is repeated twice per second on a 60hz TV and four times per second on a 120hz TV. Blu-ray is 24fps, though, so the same frame is displayed for 2.5/s on a 60hz and 5/s on a 120hz TV.

Long story short, LCD’s picture sucks no matter what, but the only time you will have problems with an LCD refresh rate being too low is when the frame rate EXCEEDS the refresh rate, or the response time of the LCD is slow… regardless, Plasma > LCD any day of the week.

While I agree plasmas are much superior when it comes to responsce/refresh… and technically Plasmas should be the better option, i just dont see it… Some plasmas look fucking amazing… but i still dont think their quite there yet with a good high end LCD

lcd FTL all day every day.

new plasma out these days with the LED thickness, 3D technology blows the new LED’s out the water. they are cheaper, better picture, better refresh rate, better viewing angle, no burn in issues, better moar better!!!

I was told certain colors on LCD TVs don’t look the greatest especially black due to the fact that the TV is has a backlight. Elaborate if you can…I own a pioneer 50in plasma and have yet to see a TV with a better picture when I’m in the stores.

All true. There are 2 reasons why you never see a better picture in stores, 1) Pioneer makes a great plasma.
2) TV’s are set up in “vivid” mode when on display so they can be seen in bright light easily.

Thanks

The blacks in LCD’s have been mostly fixed with the LED-LCD technology. Just an FYI.

You are most likely reading this thread through your friendly neighborhood LCD. Just sayin.

My toshiba LCD is awesome… I’ve had many compliments on how the picture quality is vs. plasmas… I also was able to get my tv tuned which made a big difference.

I’m definetly not going to buy a plasma, too rich for my blood. The wife and I want to spend about 500 bucks and want a 40 or 42 inch TV. I’m probably going to go with the vizio SAMs has on sale for 489 or walmart has an LG for 479. We don’t watch a lot of movies and I get to play videos games an average of 3 hrs a week if I’m luck. So spending any more then 500 on a TV that gets used to just watch TV is silly to me.

Plasma is cheaper than LCD…

don’t you have to add fluid to them over time though? Thats what I read on the interwebz, but I guess that doesn’t really mean anything.

Your TV sucks, and so does my Samsung LCD. Calibrations make a hell of a difference, but LCD still pales by comparison (if they are both calibrated correctly).

:wink:

LOL, that was a rumor from like 10+ years ago.