leaking synthetic oil

alright, i used to run normal oil till recently because ppl have said if u switch its ok as long as u don’t leak a lot. i’m not leaking A LOT but its more than 1 or 2 drops on my driveway. now ive read that if it leaks you go back to what you normally used because the gasket isnt used to the thicker oil or something. but now, ive heard that its bad to switch back to normal after using synthetic becuase it causes some type of reaction? any input guys? thanks

this is for a stock s14 KA btw

ok first off…common mis conception, there is no reaction between oils…u can also try going half synthetic half normal…try that and if it doesnt work go back to normal

as for the leak, it is because synthetic is alot thinner than regular oil, it is pure, therefor no impuritys in(the benefit of synthetic) well what happens over time is the gaskets in your car get tiny pin holes and regular oil has covered them up because it is thicker, but now that you have put synthetic in your car the thinner oil is able to get through these small holes/cracks and crevises, dont get me wrong im not saying ur head gaskets leaking or anything just that there are small holes, and synthetic can get through them

so in conclusion try going to a 50/50 blend of synthetic and regular oil, u can purchase these at ct, and if that doesnt work go back to normal oil

using synthetic varys from car to car, on my 89 sohc i use 5w30 mobile 1 syntec and it runs mint, some cars are different

hope this helps

keep an eye on it, front main oil seals are a leading cause of enigne failure due to lack of oil.

My first ka, The front seal went for just barely dripping to failing altoghter and then BANG- rod through the block, piston in 3 pieces, james bond smoke cloud

and as for the synthetic to regular argument, it depends which company you ask, Bill Gardener (quacker state/Motoring 2006 TSN) says it dosen’t hurt, Rpyal Purple website says it dosen’t hurt, Redline (or Ayms?) sells a flush product for those who wish to switch, so it depends on who you ask

is it ok for me to wait on this for about a couple weeks? ill run it hard so then ill change my oil after? ill keep topping off the oil so it doesn’t get too low. would this be ok?

i don’t want to waste my synthetic oil since i just put it in haha.

or maybe i can just buy regular oil and use that to top it off?

hrmm.

Where is the leak coming from “I’m assuming its the front main seal” ?

The front main seal on my SR went “dried out” it was fine all last year and sat in my garage all winter but then after I towed it to my shop and let it run I noticed the main seal was leaking “it does happen” you cannot souly blame it on changing oil etc…

But anyway… a Front Main Seal from Nissan is like $8.00 and is pretty damn simple to change “you just need to remove the crank pulley” but the Rear however is a different story as the Tranny must be removed (as well as the Clutch Setup + Flywheel) and the Rear Seal is a bit more pricey at like $30

i would try it but im not mechanically inclined. i don’t like messing with things i cant fix haha.

if i just let it leak and keep topping it off would this be ok? or would it just make the “holes” in the gasket bigger?

From what ive heard mobil 1 causes the most swelling of gaskets of any synthetic oil therefor when you go back to regualr the gaskets are beat up shrink and leak. Ive only ever heard of it being not so good to go back to regular when you have used mobil 1(not any other brandname). You’ve already used mobil 1 and its leaking id slowly go back to using regualr. go with a semi syn then regualr. Stick with regular and change more often. Its cheaper too.

do not do that, thats retarded everyone knows not to do that

if u went with synthetic stick with it, run 10w30 maybe it will help, its not reccomened to go back to mineral after you went to synthetic, but yea its possible it wlil leak since synthetic tends to find places to leak throuhg

^^ im already running 10w30.

so…ppl are saying u can switch back no prob…then some ppl are saying its bad and etc…
damn i wish there was 1 black and white answer.

After using 5w30 modbil 1 my oil pan gasket sweat a bit. At the time i was short cash so dropped back to regular with no problems. I drained the mobil 1 syn then filled it with cheapest grade oil ran it hard for a day then drained it again to clean up the engine the proper way instead of dumping harmful chemicals into the engine before i drain the old oil(ie: engine flushes) With castrol regular oil im fine no sweats or leaks. I just change it every 3000-4000kms or if it seems to get durty earlyer.

do not do that, thats retarded everyone knows not to do that

if u went with synthetic stick with it, run 10w30 maybe it will help, its not reccomened to go back to mineral after you went to synthetic, but yea its possible it wlil leak since synthetic tends to find places to leak throuhg[/quote]

actually if you look into it, it does not matter at all…the difference between synthetic and regular oil is…the fact that synthetic has no impuritys in it…synthetic is just strictly hydro carbon chains of oil…there no other elements in there…for example regular oil would have other elements in there

think about it makes sense right