oil change

will it make any difference now if i change my oil to synthetic? My car has been running on regular 5w30 for over 200000 kms now, jus wondering if any difference would be felt or anything? also if yes would it be ok to run in the winter?

why bother really. When I had my KA, I had a feeling it was using dyno oil. After a couple synthetic oil changes (because hey synthetic is better so I had to use it) it started leaking around the rocker cover. Maybe coincidence that my rocker cover gasket was going when I switched but I doubt it.

Last time I talked to Kent he was all about the Synthetic. Changing to synthetic from dino juice shouldn’t be any problem.

B-Wurm :smiley:

You’re actually better off running synthetic in your motor in the winter because synthetic flows better during cold conditions. I personally think that the synthetic is worth the extra cost because it tends to protect your moving parts so much better at both high and low temps. I haven’t put enough mileage on my own cars to comment, but my dad has run two Dodge Caravans with synthetic only. We got rid of the first one at 398K because the tranny died - the motor still ran perfectly fine. His current van has 298K on it, still feels as powerful as it did years ago, and never has any running problems.

Actually, in a motor with your mileage synthetic tends to swell the engine seals and prevent oil burning, so it would probably be good if you switched it over at your next change.

What is needed to switch over to Synthetic? Or is it as simple as pouring it in?

Yup, don’t forget to drain your old oil first :rolleyes:

Yup, don’t forget to drain your old oil first :rolleyes:[/quote]
LOL

changing the filter may help out too

depends on you car, if it has leaks or a leak that somehow managed to get blocked by sludge, it MAY start leaking (or more, if it already has it), but the only way to find out is to do it. I thought mine would leak badly but she doing fine after 2000kms, then again she had been on semi-synth since day one…

I agree… If you switch now don’t be surprised to find some new leaks. But it should be worth the cost in the long run. I switched @ 30000 on my renault and man that was fun with all the leaks. But then came winter and I never had to plug it in… Not bad for a 20 Yr old car.

i do have a small leak, not the oil pan gasket but the one above it, should this be a problem? i know not much info but i forget what it is called, sorry, it is more like sweating though, no real leak.

Im assuming valve cover gasket. Just take the valve cover off. There should be a rubber gasket there. Clean that up and clean the mating surface on the head and the valve cover. Get some liquid gasket and run a small bead on the head and the valve cover, then re-install the rubber gasket and the valve cover and it wont leak any more. Just be careful tightening the bolt because the head is aluminum and the threads still easily.

not the valve cover. would have fixed already, my dads mechanic said it would be lik a 300 or so dollar repair, you can only get to it from under the car

Front seal or rear seal??

drop in a purolator pure one oil filter, and esso XD-3 (I think it’s called) or UFA has the same oil re-badged as there severe duty winter oil. It’s approved for everything from small gas engines up to semi truck diesels. It has a great additive package, and is supposed to be an amazing oil, as reported by independent testers. I run them in my 91 civic with 260,000km’s and a friends tercel with 170,000km’s and I noticed an instant improvement in both cars in engine noise, smoothness of reving, start up in cold and warm, EVERYTHING!!! I really think this stuff works amazing and will be trying it in my silvia this summer.