Lets say someone stole a book of my checks...

other than writing checks, what can they do with my routing, account number, name and address? I cancelled the series of checks but I know they paid 2 Comcast bills with direct pay. Already disputed that.

I’m asking because I’m not sure if I should just cancel the account now?

Honestly for safety’s sake, I would transfer all funds into a new account so that none of those numbers are ever again associated with your account

With routing and account they have full access to your funds. Some places have additional safeguards on bank to bank transfers where they require you to verify the amount of a random small dollar amount transfer they initiate to confirm you are the account holder but not all places do this.

Yeah, I’d have the bank transfer the account to a new account with a new account number.

EDIT: What bank is this BTW? I’m shocked they left the account open knowing the security risk.

the first thing i would do is post about it on nyspeed. the second thing i would do is close the account and open a new one, probably at a bank that would tell you should close your account after someone else has access to your account number.

You should get a new account number. And change your name.

Wait, they paid two comcast bills and they’re not arrested yet?

:word:

They would have the persons account info, name, address, etc…

But I’m sure the NYSpeed Police Department will be more effective :slight_smile:

If you post up the account info and your social security we will get to the bottom of your account issues.

Seriously I would close that account ASAP!

I’m kinda shocked that you had to ask, rather than knowing what to do. This seems like a common sense type of thing.

Want to by some flugglebinders for your car? I have a special on blinker wipes as well… $499.99 and they’re all yours. Can’t be too careful, can you?

Citizens… I’ve talked to 3 different people and not one person said anything.

I’m going to canc the acct. shittay.

ugh citizens sucks. They always screw stuff up.

Word.

It is so hard to get anyone to take ANY blame for anything. I got hit with 7 random “insufficient funds” fees @ $39 a pop. Yeah, my bad…

If there were insufficient funds. :lol:

I had well over 100 times in my checking account to cover the purchases. It was like $70 in misc gas, cigs and drinks.

When I brought it to their attention, they had to “review” the charges. It was clear as day on my statement. After all was said and done, they said “have you ever thought about direct deposit, to avoid this?”. :uhh:

They did credit my account though, after speaking to 3 different people at one branch. :tup:

My debit/credit card number was stolen somehow and someone tried to charge a few thousand dollars on it. Citizens stopped it before it hit my account, closed the account and had a new debit card to me within a week. I thought they were pretty good about fixing the issue :gotme:

So uhm… similar situation, however… what if your SSN is stolen? o.O
Not SS card, just #

Lifelock? :o

Kill yourself and hope to be reborn as a new person and not a rock or plant

Cancelled my account, pain in the ass switching my auto payments over. Turns out that they think they know who did it. Citizens is still investigating the charges.

WHAT!?

Every check you write has both your account and routing number, along with name and address.

the person doesn’t have “Access” to anything but deposites. additional safegaurds such a form of “ID” is usually required to do anything beyond a deposit.

what I did realize is that they can auto-pay any bill online though with that info which shocked the hell out of me. Never thought about that before.

Yeah, anyone you write a check to is technically a risk to set up all kinds of ACH transactions that do not require ID. Sure, if they do it online, they’ll probably get caught eventually, but it would be quite the pain in the ass until everything gets straightened out.

If you are a dumbass and use someone else’s checking account to auto bill pay something of yours, you deserve to get caught and caned.