Local honda road race/autocross class?

Are there any official classes at beaver run or anywhere local for autocross or road racing? would like to know the modification rules allowed for pretty stock honda’s such as specific tires, suspension and engine mods. Is there a site with a list?

Come on over to racepa.com there are a lot of autocrossers that would know the classes well.

As far as road racing are you talking about actual competition or just lapping days? If you just want to get on a track and have fun then the only rules are safety related as in properly secured battery, current helmet, safe tires, etc.

You can PM either me or Habib88 for more info. You can also check out racepa.com and roadrace-autox.com. You can also check out SCCA’s site to look at the most recent rules for classing.

Meh I’m here, I can tell you the autocross class :wink: Though ask anyone on Pittspeed who’s tried it once just for fun, 99% of them goto SM hehe. If you wanna try and look through them yourself (click 2007 solo rules).
http://www.scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=61

As for road racing, thats a little more in depth. You need a car thats fully caged, usually has a on-board fire system, about 100 other saftey items. Then you have to go complete either 1-2 drivers schools (SCCA) or a few driver HPDE’s (NASA). If you talking about just going open lapping, then yea you don’t need nearly as much gear, just a car thats road worthy and fairly safe as it sits. For a even more complicated rule set, here is the rules for road racing (2008 SCCA Club Racing General Competition Rules and Regulations)
http://www.scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=44

and i would be one of those poor bastards thats forced into SM. damned 3-pt front strut bar and lack of interior.

^^^ Me too :slight_smile: ^^^

These guys run BeaveRun, Mid Ohio, etc. I consider this local:
http://drivenasa.com/championships/Honda-Challenge-Championship-video.html

You don’t drive a Honda. You and your faux Type-R :booty:

Keith has a good point if your really gunho on road racing NASA usually visits this area at least once a year or more. They also run alot of HPDE events which offer a doorway into road racing or doing time trials.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules.html

damned taking the spoiler off my car for me. Everytime I ask I get a totally different response and different (reasonable sounding) reasons for different classes, it confuses the hell out of me, I’ve been told STU, BSP, and SM.

I am “forced” into SM as well. Oh well, what the harm in letting Deitzel/Rothermel destroy me. I don’t want to put my car back together enough so I can switch classes and have the Carlisle/Team Matta spankage occur.

Steve - Buy these tires, make street tire’d civic’s your bitch.
http://sccaforums.com/forums/4/225216/ShowThread.aspx

Blinden - Yea one of these years we’ll class you. Going off your sig I wanna say your in BSP, but thats just a quick guess.

I’m actually thinking I’ll be stuck in SM until I get some sort of spoiler, you can add one, change one, but can’t take one off apparently?

And what would move me from BSP instead of STU? engine management? Everything I see in STU basically seems to fit with my car, except the wing.

I’m garaging my car right now, not to baby it, but to do some suspension work, can’t wait to get it out next year.

Yea that one is a little weird. reason it can’t be taken off is its considered stock equipment and taking it off would be a weight reduction (which oddly enough is probably true with the STi wing). Justin Rothermel used a aftermarket rear spoiler thats the same as the STi Limited spoiler. It looks pretty good I think.
http://autoxphotos.com/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=358&text=&imageid=36679&box=&shownew=
http://autoxphotos.com/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=358&text=&imageid=36933&box=&shownew=

And what would move me from BSP instead of STU? engine management? Everything I see in STU basically seems to fit with my car, except the wing.

I’m garaging my car right now, not to baby it, but to do some suspension work, can’t wait to get it out next year.

If the engine management changes boost, then that pushes you up to BSP. Suspension should be ok in all the classes long as it bolts into the factory mounting points (hardly ever a issue really). Yea I’m debating rallying the integra if I had any time this weekend, I miss driving and GT4 doesn’t cut it lol. Any other questions just ask!

Whats SM, BPS and STU? What and where do you guys usually run?

WOW! I’d need some serious fender rolling to make those fit!

In kind of a nutshell (knowing me it will be more of rant). There are the stock classes like A-Stock (AS), B-stock (BS), C-stock (CS), etc. Cars are grouped by like performance. AS cars would be like S2000’s, STi’s, EVO’s, C4 vettes. FS holds all the pony cars and other large RWD cars. HS is for cars that were never ment for racing hehe. And SS (super stock) is the Elise, GT3, Z06.

Beyond that the rest of the classes are just different levels of modification. Street Touring classes (STS, STX, etc) means the cars are modded, but must remain on street tires. Street Prepared classes (ASP, BSP, etc) allow for more engine mods, bigger wider wheels, more suspension trickery, etc. Then come the Mod (AM, CM, etc) which are usually small formula cars or homebuilts. With the exception of Street Mod (SM) which is kinda like a catch all class for road going cars. And Prepared (XP, CP, etc) where most the cars have the unibodys and thats about all. Usually fully built engines, forced induction, removed head & tail lights, pretty much whatever you can think of.

Its a little more in depth in that, but thats kinda how it works. For example I run STS. Which means I run on street tires, can pretty much do anything with the suspension, but have to keep the motor limited to just basic bolt-ons. If I added race tires, or changed the intake manifold, I would move up to a Street Prepared class (CSP for me I think). If I were to swap engines and/or add boost, remove my back seat I would bump the whole way up to SM.

so do you need to be in a/b/c ect stock and then grouped smaller into like street modified or are they 2 different thing? I think I saw that my 90 teg would be in G stock, correct? I wanna run street tires and bolt ons without a cage and keep my interior. basically running springs, shocks, camber kit, maybe rear roll bar, brace bars, rad, cai, header, cat back and maybe a few other bolt ons. What if I want say an intake mani and mild cams, does that change class? Do you need any safety crap besides a helmet? On most lapping days or whatever are there usually similar cars to mine running or is it mostly heavy modded fast crap? thanks for all the help guys.

The classes all stand on their own your not grouped into A-B-C all the time. Just as a example a civic might start out in H-Stock, when it moves up to Street Prepared it goes to CSP. A C4 corvette starts in A-Stock and moves up to BSP. In other words once you modfiy the car, the other cars it was grouped with before changes based on each car’s performance potenial.

Confused yet? hehe.

Your plans sound pretty good, I’d dump the rad though (just go with water wetter if your that concerned). The plans you have mentioned right now will let you run STS. Intake mani will bump you to one of the SP classes. And cams will bump you up to Stree Mod (any internal engine mod will bump you to SM).

Saftey wise. For autox you just need a helmet and seatbelt (or harness if you prefer). For open lapping you gotta read the rules of who your going to run with. One of the rules of thumb is if you planning racing seats you better have a roll bar first. And always have the same saftey equipment for the driver and passenger (instructor). Some lapping organizations don’t even like people having stock seats and a roll bar. It all had to do with how seats are made to collapse during a rollover. Best thing is to just get the entire rollbar/seat/harness package done and you’ll be safe the first time. Lapping days are based off experience thats how they group you. Trust me nothing beats being stuck behind a group of old guys in C5 vettes in the turns, who then keep dragging you when you goto pass on the straightaway.

No rad? I’m far too rad for that class then…

argh, super confusing. When I got my shell it needed a rad and I found a full size fluidyne on ebay for $100 and got that instead, good and bad. good is its a beautifully crafted piece of alum and I’ll never have a prob with overheating. Bad, way too much cooling for just about any engine you can put in this car. It takes forever to get to op temp. Why is an intake mani such a big deal, I mean it would probably give my car 5 whp max. Being my DD I won’t put a cage in it, maybe seats and harness due to the gay electric belts. thanks for all the help, Im sure I’ll have more questions in spring.