Local Laptop repair

Can anyone recomend a good place to repair a laptop locally?

My HP works and functions well, but it makes a hell of a lot of the noise. It was interrmitent for a while, but has increased to almost all of the time.

It’s hard to explain, but sounds like you are reving a motor from 800rpm to 1200rpm to 800rpm to 1200 rpm - NONSTOP

Sometimes when the computer first comes on it has a louder high pitch noise that goes with it… but when it quiets down, it’s still noticeable from across the room.

I originally thought it was just the fan, but the “peformance” gauge on the sidebar (windows vista) bounces back and forth between 15 and 24% even if the computer is sitting still with no active programs running. so I’m a little unsure. Would be nice if it was the fan and just needed swapped out…

This is my main work pc, and have a lot of information saved on it, and am going to back it up first but I can’t imagine not having it for work for even a day. Almost just want to have it diagnosised and determine if I should buy a new one before this one craps out…

I was thinking about stopping by Geek Squad, but just wasn’t sure if it was worth it. Hoping someone can recommend somewher or someone solid

could just be the bearings on one of the fans??? Geek Squad will RAPE you… did you try blowing in some of the exhaust ports? may get some of the dust out and quiet it up some

Not only that but I took the keyboard and top panel out and blew the fan out using an air compressor. It made absolutely no difference and the fan was not that dirty or dusty to begin with.

Does the noise stop if you stop the fan?

lol, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that before… I manually stopped the fan just now and yes the noise completely stopped. (via paperclip through vent holes)

Guess it’s time to look into having the fan replaced…

What model HP is it?

HP Pavilion dv6000 - Seems to be a common pc, I’ve lost track of how many people I know that have one. I’m constantly bumping into people with the same laptop. I did a little googling, and it looks like it’s a $50 part, and probably hr - hr an half to break it down and change it. Think I would rather just let someone more practiced at it take a whirl at it

It is probably either dirt clogging the fan/vent holes, not a lot of thermal grease on the processor(which is easy to fix), or something is wrong/clogging the thermal sensor on the system board. You will get fucked if you take it to the geek squad.

Yeah I’ve had a DV6000 partially apart before. I have the manual for how to take everything apart if you wanted to try it yourself – you can also find it on HP’s website.