how in the hell (computer question)

…do I figure out what fan is bad in my computer. Its making a bad whining noise with like a mild vibration to the case. Then how do I know what one to buy. This is so fucking annoying and gay…

take off teh case… you’ll only have a power supply fan and a cpu fan… while spinning just put your finger on the blades and stop it… if it stops withteh fan, that’s it.
sometimes videocards have fans too.

it’s most likely dust in thurr… just get some air and try to blow it out… usually works for me.

or jam the tower behind the desk and turn up the radio to elimanate the whining noise *unless it’s the wife. :wink:

well this is going to be a horrible over the net explination of the sound but its more like a bearing or rubbing noise. Like “waaaaa waaaa waa waa waa waaaaa”. It not like an actual sqeaking noise. Imagine you have a rubbing noise coming form your tire, and when you speed up its more frequent and when you slow down the rubbing noise is less frequent. Well thats what the damn fan sounds like. :mad:

Do you think shooting air in there (case open I imagine) will help it or is it like a bad bearing.

The girl at the Dell Store in Monroeville Mall tried to tell me that fans are universal and you can buy whatever. :rofl: stupid… then she told me I have to call tech support, so I asked her if I call tech support am I going to get a hindu on the phone who doesn’t know what he’s talking about either, and she said “Yeah, probably”.

We’re going to try air first. I grabbed an almost empty can from work.

could be a shot bearing… but those are usually floater fans… so 9 outta 10 it’s dust…

they do sound more of a humming / grinding than a squeak though.

i’d just pop the case off and take a look… i bet there is a ton of dust.

you can pop the cpu fan off and clean it from the bottom up…that ususally works… once you figure out which one it is, you can replace too… they are cheap as hell

the air is to blow directly on the fan from about 1 inch away… you’ll see a mushroom cloud of dust come out.

A-greed… just stop the processor fan real quick and see if the humming stops… the noise they make is most often a hummmmm… if it doesnt stop, its the power supply … easy as hell to change, but prolly much more of a pain in the ass to the average consumer…
Don’t konw how new your computer is, but if you find it is the processor fan, and you go to take it off, be careful and take your time… on a socket 462 (amd duron/athlon) you’ll need a flathead screwdriver… its very easy to break the processor socket if you arent careful… if its a socket 478 (pentium 4/celeron) … hmm… i can’t remember,… i think it just pops off… most ppl go w/ AMD’s b/c they are cheaper and run just as well…

o well… good luck diagnosing, and good luck fixing it…

1. They have Scottish people now too!

2. Stealing from work is bad…mmmmkay

i just say fuckit and break them off

Re: cpu fans

Well I was pulling the computer out of the “special cabinet” :rolleyes: that was part of the 900 dollar desk we bought and the fucking fan shut off I guess because it cooled down when it was taken out (piece of shit).

SO on that note I just riped out the entire computper from where it was sitting in the fucking “specialty computer cabinet” and put the hard drive up pn the desk top right next to the monitor.

Best part no more fucking noise.

Only problem now is I bought a new surge protector and I plugged it into the wall and the fulty wiring light started glowing red before I plugged any equipment in. Looked it up and it says somthing is probably not wired right in the house outlet :rolleyes: I knwo what it is its the fact that the stupid fucking asshole who owned thisi house before hand didn’t groud any of the outlets. He just used the neutral wire and hot wire and never hooked the thrid ground wires up. But inorder to fix it I will have to probably re run wire because the cocksucker CUT the fucking ground wires off instead of just leaving them.

Guess I have to add that to my “stuff to fix because people are fucking ashholes and home inspectors are usless pieces of shit” List… :doh:

Thanks for the help.

when some pentium chips overheat they play classical music… stupid useless info