Car Making Weird Noises.

At around lunch today my engine (KA24DE) started making some strange noises. It’s made them before but they go away after a while. The only way I can describe the noise is like a really loud fan. The sound rises and falls in pitch with the revs and at around 3000 I start to hear an abnoxious, high-pitched squealing/squeaking sound, like from a worn belt but the belts were replaced late last summer. I know it’s hard to diagnose the problem without even hearing the thing run but any ideas of what could cause it?

B-Wurm :smiley:

sounds like your belts. its you wanna see if its your belts take a bar of soap and put it on the belt while its moving. its a ghetto way that people get rid of that noise but its a good way to figure out hat is the problems if it has to do with any of your belts, except the timing belt.

laurier

belts are loose

Would that cause the loud fan-like noise?

A belt too loose will cause that noise. A belt too tight will cause that noise. Even though belts are new, it still could be the belt itself. I’ve had that happen several times. I replaced a belt, it started squeeling a while later. Then I replaced it again and it went away for good. It could be a pulley or a bearing. This noise can be found with a stethescope while the engine is running.

Interesting. How does one go about using a Stethescope to pinpoint sounds on an engine?

seems like the sound my belt made before it broke off due to the steering pump pulley seizing

o_O; I’ve still got my power steering…I hope something else hasn’t seized.

check your oil make sure u have enough! :partyman:

also make sura your fan blade spins freely sometime fan blade bearing needs lube or replacement

Lube the fan??? Thats the first time i have heard of lubing the fan. To check if the fan is good just try to spin it, it it stop within 3/4 of a turn its fine.

Lube the fan??? Thats the first time i have heard of lubing the fan. To check if the fan is good just try to spin it, it it stop within 3/4 of a turn its fine.[/quote]

That might be it! The fan won’t spin when I try it (spins fine when the engine’s running). But how does that solve the belt squeak?

What do I use to lube the fan? WD40??

Lube the fan??? Thats the first time i have heard of lubing the fan. To check if the fan is good just try to spin it, it it stop within 3/4 of a turn its fine.[/quote]

That might be it! The fan won’t spin when I try it (spins fine when the engine’s running). But how does that solve the belt squeak?

What do I use to lube the fan? WD40??
B-Wurm :D[/quote]
If it doesnt spin at all then its fucked. Cheapest way to fix it is to just get another one. PM nis_mo he has a stock one that he will sell.

Well, I can TURN it with my hand, but i hafta push it the whole way.

Isn’t it like that because its a clutch fan?? it will only spin when the crank is turning as well.

Its sounds fine, it you try to spin it and it spin for more that a turn it is fucked.

Ok, that’s good. So now we’re back to my belts being loose.

Well, finally got the car into the shop today. Turns out the belt was loose. :lol: Unfortunately, though, they discovered my fan clutch is seizing. :butthead:

Nis240, you know if nis_mo still has his fan?

He has it. Just PM him about it.

You won’t turn a drive belt by hand. And you can’t lube a mechanical fan. It’s a viscious fluid fan clutch. Which means when its cold, the fan itself shouldn’t be turning. As it warms up, the clutch engages against the clutch housing and spins the fan. If on cold start-up, then fan turns, then the clutch is seized.