checking a car

hey guys i need someone to help me check out my car cuz i just bought it and it runs prime but i want someone to make sure tho cuz the fan is really loud and it makes a very very nasty smell. thanks for your time guys

Check the belt and make sure it’s tight and not rubbing.

If it’s lose it’ll squeak really loud and if it rubs, it’ll start melting and it stinks. May also make noise because the belt is just worn out.

There should’nt much movement in the belt when you push on it. If there is tighten it up. Then start the car and see if the sound goes away along with the smell.

Check that out first and see then let us know.

Take care.

Easy 8)

thanks so much bro

caps bro… caps…

Please only post one thread. There is no need to post this in multiple sections.

See the one in Tech if anyone wants to reply.

Locked.

Sorry Phil, figured i’d leave this one open instead.

Normally i would have deleted both threads.

lol sorrie i was just so happy i couldnt help it. um yeah the i tested the belt and it was tight and the fan is quiet when i start it but after i start to drve the car for like 10 mintues it starts to get really loud like it literaly sounds like a truck. so does anyone want to help me just look over my engine just to make sure everyting is ok. because im going into the winter and i want to make sure everyting is prime for winter driving. thank you
mikey

you do know that you could always take it to a mechanic. i dont mean to sound like an ass, but don’t expect any handouts. same with the b&m fs thread, assuming i don’t get it first. :wink:

i’m sure that if you called up MSSC they could help you out.

It could still be the belt man. After it warms up it will expand and stretch a little, especially if it’s worn out. Thats how it went for me. When I started the car up in the morning there was nothing but after a few min’s of driving, the squeal came back. Your belt can be weing out in spots and when it stretches is slips on the pulley. That’s the squeal you hear so I’d suggest replacing it.

It won’t hurt to have new belts anyway and you may see that the noise goes away completely.

Try that, let us know and we’ll take it from there.

Good luck brother.

Easy 8)

make sure all your bolts are in the exaust manifold, I had this problem and it sounded like a truck. Sounded like a valve tick at first but once it warmed up loud as all get out and it smelt because the exaust was getting dumped right into the engine bay.

ok ill check it out asap. and im not looking for no handouts just wanted someone to give me their opinion on wha to do.

It could be the clutch in the fan.

With the car off, try and spin the fan. It should be stiff, and not spin very easily.

If it spins freely, it could be it. When the clutch wears out they can get pretty noisy. But that should start to make noise right away.

And that doesn’t sound like the clutch fan by your description.

Diagnosing sounds over the internet is pretty hard. I’d have to hear it for myself.

Is it an S13? They can make a lot of weird noises … we had to drive Danner’s with the hood off and someone sitting in the engine bay just to track his down - loose alternator.

It was a weird sound, wouldn’t do it while sitting, wouldn’t do it while revving, only at a certain RPM it would start to howl.

ok, my bad bro. i took it as you requesting someone actually come and check it out. don’t mean to crap in your thread.

lol no prob i didnt take any offence to it lol