computer nerds, quick question??

The fan on my computers video card (nvidia) is making a horrid noise like the bearings are shot. Is this common, and is there any replacement parts i may be able to find local or on the web?

yea john you can just pick up a new fan … they clip right on

there is that place near SG they should have it … out by you i dont know what computer places or over there

The card probably has a sleeve bearing instead of a ball bearing. You can check to see if any hair got wrapped up on it and is causing it to strain and make noise. You could also try a small amount of lube if it’s a sleeve. For the price, it might be easier to buy a cheap replacement as above mentioned. Below is a site with some options.

http://www.quietpcusa.com/Quiet-Video-Card-Coolers-C23.aspx?UserID=3793770&SessionID=xNsU1EM9uCn5hM2UIFU0

Its common if its a several year old card.

If the fan has a visible connection, does it have 2 wires, 3 wires, or 4?
If its just 2 or 3, it would be easy to find something to replace it with.
Now if its 4… Youre going to need a PWM fan in a compatible size, and those are hard to come by.

Depending on the video card it can be a 2 min swap, or a 15+…

Its likely its a sleeve bering fan, they dont last that long.

supercharge it :shrug:

Should be simple enough to replace as long as it doesn’t have one of those super fancy coolers on it.

I find that when I come across these that 9 times out of 10 they don’t need replacing at all. Just a good cleaning and lubricate the fan will get things running like new.

just goto that pc place across from the old best dodge in op.

simple fix, fuck trying to fix that tiny fan, they are cheap enough to replace.

the fan on the card will have a power plug attached to the board of the video card to unplug the current fan. The fan is usually held on by tiny screws, so you can remove it as well.

Use the rest of the advice here to get a clip on fan to replace it.

thanks for the reply guys. I decided to pulll the card and do some inspecting. Upon inspection i noticed that there was an over abundance of dust inside the fan and unit. So i pulled the tower and card out to the garage and blew it out real good. Then i focused my attention to the video card. I removed the 3 screws to the fan and pulled it from the heat sync. then i blew it out good and looked for some lubricant. I didnt have anything handy so i reached for something i had handy. Some Amsoil MTF 5w30 with syncromesh. If this shit can help my car go tens its gotta be good for a simple bearing on a tiny fan.

I dropped one drop into the fans bearing, then resealed the sticker to hold in the amsoil oil. reinstalled and noise is gone. I will be testing it out for now to see if the noise comes back.

:tup: sweet. Fixed without spending a penny.

Make sure the fan keeps going. I’m pretty sure those are dry bearing fans on video cards. I’m sure it will work though. OIL > * :slight_smile:

Let us know what happens. I’m curious as well. I was always told to replace the fans rather than lubricate em. I don’t remember the reason…

still runnin and still quiet. If the card goes i guess ill have to upgrade.:slight_smile: I think that the majority of the problem was all the dust that had collected inside the case.

I’d guess because they’re designed to be internally lubricated/non-serviceable for warranty sake among others (imagine some goob throwing a cap full of oil on the fan and calling it a day lol).

If the company advised him to service the fan himself and destroyed other components in the process, they might be liable to some degree