Local Pursuit of happiness dude

My only question is, why are you not out west?!? Killington? Seriously?

• Updated - - -

Oh and quit messing around and get a Sportsmobile (Like they do out west.). :smiley:
http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36046&stc=1

#skitheeastbruh

I have a lot of respect for people who say fuck this bullshit corporate job, im going to take a risk. Hopefully it works out for him. I think about doing something like this, oftenā€¦

Adam is a good dude

I think I met him through newman when we were like 16

he has been living like this for like the past year or two and his first bus kicked the bucket last year

and I would assume he doesnā€™t have the kind of cash needed for one of those ā€œsportmobileā€

@Garick quit his engineering job at Koike to go skiing / mountain biking / basket weaving in Wyoming a couple years ago, donā€™t think he is living in a van and blogging about it though.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/wow-cool.gif

I know someone who is doing this right now. Ordered a 4x4 Sprinter Van in 2013 and took delivery a few weeks ago, just driving all over in North America.

3 years to build a van?

Iā€™d rather be hiking or biking, but to each their own. I guess you can drive all year round, but long distance hiking gets difficult in the winter. I plan to take up to a year off in 2020.

Engineering just isnā€™t that intrinsically rewarding.

So he still works and does photography just happens to live in a bus and ski?

I went to college with him. Nice guy. Glad heā€™s doing what he loves, but how serious was his ā€œ9-5ā€ and are we talking $25,000 a year job or $125,000 a year? Itā€™s a lot easier to give up one than the other.

Iā€™m sometimes envious of the few friends that I know who have done this. Travel the world, meet new people, temporarily live in a 3rd world countryā€¦you knowā€¦stuff that just screams ā€œfreedomā€ and ā€œadventureā€. Like shitting in a hole and wiping with a fig leaf. Sleeping under a bridge. Not brushing your teeth with running water for a week. Then I see them crowdfunding $50 for new shoes and my perspective shifts back to reality.

If Iā€™m going to give up my way of life and be homeless, its going to be in San Diego or Hawaii, not Singapore.

• Updated - - -

This was what I was curious about.

I know lots of people who are consultants who donā€™t keep a permeant home travel all over and do whatever they want along the way.

Or fuck find the right west coast company that will let you work remotely and do whatever you want

I know Adam as well, through Newman. Heā€™s always been that outgoing kinda guy, doesnā€™t surprise me one bit. He does take some neat pics.

This would have been me 28 years ago if I didnā€™t have the opportunity I had. :slight_smile: Beck is right, leaving a super kick ass job is different than leaving an entry level job. Now I fly around the country and stay at very nice places to go skiing. :slight_smile:

The job he had before was semi-decent, I used to know what it was but it escapes me now. I think he made around 60 a year, which is fair. Iā€™ve been friends with him forever.

My dead friend Ian had an old sportsmobile and it was awesome.

You had a Sportsmobile?!? I have been looking into getting one, they are sweet! So are EarthRoamers.

I went to school with Adam and have known him forever. He is a great guy. It only took him a few months to build the bus. I think they should have said it took him 3 years of planning to decide to do it. As mentioned this is actually his second bus.

:frowning:

jesus I just looked up how much a USED sportsmobile costsā€¦

they START around $50k for one with an avg of 100k miles on it

I think adam paid like $3k for his bus and prob less than 1/2 of that to transform

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36050&stc=1

Heā€™s nuts. Fall and bust a leg and heā€™s screwed. Where does he get his mail sent?