Logitech Z-5500

Hello, I have a macintosh Ibook G4 its about 5 years old and I was interested in purchasing these speakers. people have said I need an external sound card. I dont know which one to get and i also dont know where to start. Any help would be great thanks!

Why would you need a new sound card? Does your laptop have 5.1 in? or is it only stereo/mono?

The speakers appear to be powered, so that shouldn’t be an issue if the built in audio doesn’t use any kind of amplifier. Specifics would help.

I’m guessing that you only have 2 channels in, and if that’s the case I would just go with some good stereo speakers unless you plan on taking full advantage of the 5.1 (movies and shit). However, on a machine that old I don’t think you’ll really be able to. The old G5 tower I used to have wasn’t very good at playing full screen video (or at least, nothing with any kind of decent resolution), so I can only imagine that a g4 (laptop especially) wouldn’t handle it very well either.

If you’re content on going 5.1, then get one of these http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=206&product=10702

I know OSX supports it and they work good. 5.1 support and should work fine with usb ver.1 (which is probably what you have) but again I think you may be wasting $$$

Skip the speaker setup dude. Get a new computer. 5 years old is just ancient with computer tech. Especially laptops.

Yeah i hear ya, thats why i am upgrading to the nre MBP’s in january when the price drops a little. Also i am getting the Logitech G51 setup, i realized a small room dosn’t need 500+ Watts. 300 is just fine.

Ive also got the G51 setup and couldnt be happier. Perfect little sound system for a PC. Plenty of bass too.