LOL anyone on here buy a 3.5L or 3.9L GM car in the last few days here??

Your motor may be junk.We got called into the office last night about 7:45 and was told to stop working,have your ppl punch out @ 8:00 and hopefully we’ll have new/better parts by tom. night.
I guess all the engines we made since LAST wednesday are possibly bad and the cam may break.:roll2: I guess the one part of it is too soft.Not alot of details yet,But the one higher up foreman said they are already in cars.Talking around 10,000 engines just from our plant.Not sure who else the cams are sent to.
Should be an all out overtime period tho for a few weeks if we have to somehow replace all these engines in the schedule.
D

Ouch. Wouldn’t they issue a recall for potentially affected vehicles? Or is it not bad enough for that?

that sucks… I hate when shit like that happens. You think you’re all good, making deadlines, then all of a sudden something like that bites ya in the ass and gotta work double time to fix the old shit, while still keeping the rest of the orders/deadlines going.

So their sending it back to the engine plant, opposed to having them fixed at the dealership? or they not installed in vehicles yet?

It sounds like some of them have already made it into vehicles, which could have already been purchased… or so I assume from the thread title.

doah… you’re right

Not 100% sure.I guess the plant manager called from home screaming blah,blah, Like it’s our fault.If they have been bad since last wed. they would be in some cars already and could be delivered.Usually when they find a problem they go back even farther just to make sure.All I know is the day shift didn’t work today either.The biggest problem is the cam gets put in the block at the 2nd job on the line so of the 600 or so engines sitting on the line waiting to be completed,prob. 598 need to be torn down.Then is the task of where to put them,how to get them off the line, etc.
Will be a fun night to say the least.
D

:tdown:

good luck

bad cams is a VERY bad problem

the only thing worse is soft cranks or soft rods

when cams break, if they break in 2 places, thats a big chunk of steel that has to make it past the spinning crank w/o hitting anything … if it gets between the crank and block its instant catastophic engine failure

i once saw one of the early 80’s 60* 173ci engines (IIRC) that blew apart from the same problem, a section of the crank was hanging out the side of the block

it doesnt help that cams are relativly soft to begin with, its usualy pretty easy to give one a wack on the ground and break it in 2 or 3 places

I knew people [UAW Workers] who intentially ran bad parts just so they could work overtime. Not saying this is the case…but it’s the way some people love to ‘earn’ their money.

Sorry, I should have been more clear… I meant if there were enough cars affected to warrant a recall. But either way, you are right… they should call them back no matter how many cars they’ve made their way into. Shitty.

misteroman$$$: At least you’ll get overtime for this, right?

Oh wow, that definatly isn’t good. :o

Damn…that suxors.

3.5 is a DOHC inline 5, that means one (or both cams) ripping through your valve cover and fucking up your engine compartment. :stuck_out_tongue:

:tdown: but im still a gm guy at heart :snky:

Are the cams made in-house or sourced from somebody else? (I suspect the latter). We run into supplier defects, and it is the same sort of scenario, they only get caught after the whole part is 100% built. I only wish we could beat them up the way we get beat up if there is a problem. From what I’ve been told, though, we don’t matter enough to them and they’d just tell us to go fuck off if we tried to take a harder stance on their quality.

are they interference motors ?

I really tink the 3.5 that Derrick speaks of is the FWD … not that RWD colorado garbage …

the 3.5 FWD took the place of the 3400 and 3100 … same garbage though

ahhhhh

Yup 3.5 FWD.They told us today Sat & Sun so should be good for a quick $G.They don’t know how many are bad but they are saying as far back as Aug 31.There is a bad batch of them so not all are bad.GM is really pretty good these days about containing stuff.
D

shitty.

HAHAHAH GM is awesome!!!

i love they always use quality parts :slight_smile: