looking at HDTV's

[quote=“itsJim,post:28,topic:38818"”]

Samsung makes the lcd panels for Sony and sets of the same size are usually priced exactly the same… I don’t know why people think Sony is so shitty… Sounds more of like a personal thing against Sony but whatever…

[/quote]

Right. People also tend to think that just because the panel is the same that you are getting exactly the same picture. Not so, because the processing behind that picture is important.

Any Sony equipment I’ve ever owned has performed flawlessly for me for years and years. Also, when I worked on their products at LTS, their customer service was second-to-none when somebody had a problem under warranty.

Most of the Sony hatred comes from them wanting to take over the world, and from their control-freakery when it comes to content (ie, the rootkit debacle). Most of that comes from them being one of the largest, if not the largest movie and music distributors.

Anyway, everybody seems to keep throwing around screen sizes and brand names but no models. You can’t effectively comparison shop for a TV without knowing exactly what model you are looking at.

For example, Sharp has no less than SIX different 46" LCDs out right now, and the performance and feature set between those models is NOT the same. Some places, like BJ’s for example, make it look like they have a great deal on something, but in reality, they are selling last year’s model or a special model that is put together from cheaper parts so they can meet the price point.

CHECK YOUR MODEL NUMBERS!

You also can’t comparison shop if the signal being sent to the TV is shite, as it was at Circuit City (NFB location), where they HAD to have the hockey game on, even though it was in standard def, and looked like garbage. Best Buy (NFB location) had at least something I could work with, and Stereo Advantage had the best of all of them.

If you don’t have the ability to adjust the set on-site, I’d go elsewhere as well. I learned a great deal at BB once I got the sets I was considering adjusted properly.