Looking for 2004-2007 STI

honestly, if you just get a good tune and dont constantly beat the living piss out of the car, it should last for a while.

if you end up getting an 06-07 make sure its been tuned regardless of whats done to it

LOL Kenny, I was just kidding about buying mine. I have a sale pending (took deposit yesterday), so no worries.

what ever you buy, don’t put money into it, build another 4x4 to wheel so we can flip over more vehicles please.

Good luck finding a clean lower mileage sti for the 15k range thats unmolested. You might be able to find an 04-05. They are fun cars (I have a love hate relationship with mine LOL).

That plus in adequete oiling passages. Boxersix can explain.

buy STi for looks, STi blows up. atleast it looks good sitting there.

yea, pretty much. lol. I have to see what I can get and try to find something that was done right. Going to take a look at xreaction’s RSTi when he gets back in town.

I MAY have actually found one. I will possibly be going to look at it this weekend (in Eastern Mass.) Its a 2005 with low miles and mostly stock (axle back exhaust and some cosmetic upgrades). It was bought as a family car so it does not seem to have been abused at all. Its a little higher than what I wanted to spend but its well within what I can afford.

Nothing is definitive yet though. There are a few more I am trying to get some information on.

Kenny, if you want a more reliable AWD “rally” car, buy an evo 8. Seriously. Subaru’s are nightmares.

so wait, Kenny, lemme get this straight. You can finally afford to not constantly be wrenching on a beater and you’ve settled on the Subaru STi?? REALLY KENNY?!?!?

+1 for an evo, way more reliable

Subaru failures gave boxersix and enitre years worth of salary in 2010.

If you’re planning to buy an Sti for looks and a daily driver, don’t even consider modifying it. Take it from a guy who has a decent portion of his income supported from rebuilding subaru motors that have popped. Buy it, put on a factory SPT exhaust, keep it below 68-7000rpm and it’ll be one of the best cars you’ll even own. Drive the shit out of it, but keep the revs low. Start tuning it and over revving the motor and you’ll be into it real quick. Plan to mod it and you better start sticking money in a shoe box from day one for the inevitable.

Subaru runs tight bearing clearances from the factory coupled with an oiling system that isn’t up to the task of keeping the rod bearings alive at elevated rpms and power levels. I do extensive case and crank oil supply modifications when building these motors for big power and high rpm use. A properly built bottom end is still suseptible to it, even with the builder doing it 110% right. On the flip side though, those tight clearances and solid design is why you can crank out 250K+ miles on a stock subaru engine as a DD and never have a problem with it given proper maintenance and staying within appropriate rpm range.

Better yet, buy Sti and Cossey’s LGT, swap 2.6L Cosworth stroker block and clutch into Sti, swap EJ257 and clutch into LGT, sell LGT. Have an Sti you can go build/boost/pull tree stumps up with all day long and not worry about it. OR even better, buy Sti with a blown engine and contract me to build you an emissions legal EG33 swapped car and NEVER have to worry about it except if/when sliding towards a tree(and even then I can seriously help in that Dept :wink: )

Do research on the car. Never buy a tuned subaru unless a) you have plenty in the bank to take care of fukups and/or b) the price is so cheap it can’t be passed up.(Edit, can and WILL vouch for Cossey’s LGT being I did all the work on it) Most have been beaten and neglected by their owners and it will show.

Good luck. Despite the usual BS subaru is still one of my favorite cars. Wish I never sold my last one :’(:’(:’(:’(

I looked at that STI, the outside is clean it has 92K miles on it and the last time I checked I think they were asking $19,850 for it. Headlights have been “blacked out” so I’m not sure if it’s been molested beyond that as well.

Not worth it in my opinion.

I have thought about the evo as well but I can’t find anything with decent miles for under 25. I’ll keep an eye out though.

Edit: Well I’ve found a few but as with Subaru’s, I know very little about them. Trucks are more my thing. I see a lot of Lancer Evolutions (no VIII/IX/X). Is there a difference or is it just left out? I know there are regular Lancers but is it similar with the STI where there is say the Lancer, Lancer Evo, Lancer EVO VII???
Thanks

buy my 02 wagon… it’s already blowed up so I’ve saved you all the hassles !!!

I’d buy an Evo 8 wayyyy before an STi btw. Actually really like the Evo 8s.

I do too. I like the Evo’s just about as much as I like the STI’s… They just seem a lot harder to come by… lol.