Looking for Feedback on my Curb Appeal

Ok, so I am moving back to Rochester and have my house for sale down in Binghamton. We just recently listed it, but we don’t have a lot of curb appeal, and going into winter, we can’t just cover it with Flowers. Any suggestions as to what to do to spruce up the exterior that won’t cost a lot? I’ve already had the front and side of the garage repainted to remove peeling paint.

The interior (redone within the last 5 years) and garage (3 car in an area of 1 cars, and includes an oil change pit) should stand on their own. It’s just the curb appeal we lack.

Pictures can be found here: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/71-Adams-Ave_Johnson-City_NY_13790_M46801-70852

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19739[/ATTACH]

(Sorry they are small, it’s from the realtor’s website.)

Painting the house is out cause of the weather and cost.

some of the current thoughts are:

• Shutters on the front ~$90 plus time
  • Paint the front door another color - ~$30
  • Wreath on the front door or railing
  • Paint the Awning (Probably too cold)
  • Potted evergreen trees/shrubs for the garden - ~60-100
  • Blow up santa on a motorcycle in the front yard (Not a chance, but was suggested)
  • Nothing, just hope for the best, it’s only been on the market for a day.

Serious Thoughts?

“includes an oil change pit” I thought home owners insurance hates these.

No clue, but I never had any issues. adjuster came to assess the house when we moved in and didn’t say anything. Wasn’t anything in the garage at the time either.

why would you move? that garage is amazing.

It would be a 3 hour commute to and from work each day if I didn’t.

I would start with a few Christmas decorations myself, but I’m no realtor.

I know some of the realtors I network with are or have designers that help you make your house look better for sale, maybe you could ask yours?

The front porch / awning is small and somewhat cheap and ugly. I’m not sure what, but anything to improve that will really help.

maybe rip out the railing on it and build some nice wide front steps out of wood down the front side? this might help open it up.

also, now that you’re up in rochester we need to hang out more!

its too bad that its cold, even just painting the trim for some contrast would make a huge difference.

i think planting shrubs would be a bad idea, the new home owners may prefer a “clean slate” to do what they want with the front.

Realtor told us painting the house would help, but that’s obviously out.

Front porch was talked about, but the cost of that is a little more than we would like to spend on it. The railing and the awning are actually integrated, so if one goes it all goes.

And shrubs would be potted if we did anything so they would be removable and could be taken with us when we moved and planted at the new house.

And Aaron, we definitely will. things have been crazy lately, so i really haven’t had the time. Next week though, wed or thurs I should be free.

Curb appeal is overrated in winter months. Most buyers will simply scan the outside and immediately go inside. Make sure the house is clean.

I don’t know you, or how you live, but by clean, I mean absolutely spotless. No shit on the walls or ceilings (especially in kitchens and bathrooms) carpets and floors should be spotless. REMOVE ALL CLUTTER!! Anything not required to be comfortable living there should be removed and put into storage or in the garage… or placed strategically to hide anything that may be unattractive to potential buyers.

When we were selling our house the only thing we heard back was “It was an absolute pleasure showing your house”, “Immaculate”, “Do you still live there? There is no mess, no clutter and is very clean” … unfortunately for the owners of the 50 or so houses I looked at this summer, they were mostly disgusting. We couldn’t believe people were trying to sell these slum holes. First impressions are everything. If your house smells, light some candles, but don’t make it obvious that you’re trying to hide something. Ask your realtor or friends if your house smells. Your house smells like your house to you but it may be gross to other people. That is just the way it is.

If you’re a clean person and live in a clean home, this may be redundant… but what some people consider clean is simply “clean enough” for them, and disgusting to others.

As far as the outside goes… there isn’t much you can do. Make sure all exterior lighting works and works well. Christmas lights will give it a nice look during evening hours. Nothing too gaudy. Solar lights lining the driveway are pleasant and inviting. If the people struggle to locate your driveway at night and struggle getting out when they’re done, it is the last thing they will think of as they discuss the house on their way home. If you have shit lying around the outside, don’t organize it, get rid of it.

Good Luck.

Look into NACA for your next home purchase.
3.5% 30yr fixed, no down payment, no PMI.

That house is one hell of a deal for right around 100k. Hopefully it sells fast!

put some evergreens in the front…otherwise just keep it clean and bright

probably not going to do much until christmas. Here’s a video of the house if anyone has any other suggestions

bounce on the awning, add color contrast