LOOKING FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Jesse, I’ll see if I can find out some info for you, cause my friend had the same thing happen to him (except ice block dented his hood and bounced over his roof.)

The insurance had said random act of mother nature too (cause they dont want to pay), but the trucking company settled with him.

I’ll pm you info once I get it.

You were saying… AnDrEw ???

and something about wood?[/quote]
great your right, I stand corrected. Stop being an ignorant bumhole about it.

Andrew[/quote]

Done, and i appologize. Just stop talking through your ass.

find that truck, get a brick, and smash it thru the guy’s windshield. done.

I had something like that happen to me on the 427. A piece of wood like a 2x4 went flying out of a dumptruck bounced of the pavement and then right into my grill of my le sabre. It broke the grill, puctured the rad and damaged a little bit of the hood. I got the plate number of the truck and I pulled next to the driver and my began to honk at him, then my friend put down the passenger window and told him to pull over.
When we pulled over he was a dick about it and he was like “These things happen and I sorry it had to happen to you just call your insurance company and they will fix it.” I almost fliped on the guy.
I called the company he works for and they said that there is a tarp they should pull over the top to prevent things from flying out and he didn’t do that and I had a witness that noticed it wasn’t on.
To make a long story short they cut me a cheque for $780.00 to cover the damages but it was going through all that trouble that I hated.

In your case being a semi and the ice coming from the trailer might be a different story.

Either way good luck.

there are no laws in ontario concerning cleaning the roof of trailer from snow and ice, if ice falls off only your insurance will fix it, now if a piece of the load was to fall off the truck than they can get charged with a unsecure load citation.

shitty yes but unfortunetly you have no other choice other than you own insurance but depending on your deductable it may not be worth if, i have a guy that will do windshield and install for 200 bucks.

Jesse

Sorry o hear about that situation it sucks i know both of mine have cracked windshields because of the same scenario. One was a rock from gravel the other a peice of plastic. Even though most are saying there is nothing you can do the best is to call the company about the situation if they are unwilling even after you state that you have “witnesses” Stress to them that if nothing is done about it the local paper may be getting a nice letter with there name in it.

Currently right now there are no laws for this sort of situation. However there is a bill pending for the near future which will make the drivers accountable for the trucks they drive.

Your best bet call the company and be friendly about it as the person you are talkin to more than likely does not care about the insurance policy the company has. If the person is non responsive threatening is a bitch and get names of everyone you talk to at the company.

Hope that helps
Bryce

Dude, call the police or accident reporting center then call the insurance company. Ins will ask if a report has been filed, then they will get in touch with the trucking company. It may take a while, but if you’ve got a report filed the truckers company must pay you. You may have to pay deductible until their cheque comes through but you’ll get reimbursed by your ins. It doesnt matter what coverage you have, the trucker is at fault. Also on your side is some obscure rule that the ice/object didnt hit the ground first and then bounce onto you.
Once youve contacted them then call the trucking company and let them know that your insurance company will be in touch with them.

Just my 2cents, hope it helps

pigs dont give a shit about anything other than meeting their monthly quotas (sorry GT ur dads a good guy :)) fuck them.

If the company doesn’t want to help you (hard to say if they would… i doubt it) then just let it go or get your own justice.

Call the Edge complaint line 416-872-3343 (I think), but dude… that sucks, seriously…That really sucks… and the News paper is not a bad deal either… or park your car near their office for a little while with a sign on it that says this company did this to your car and won’t do a thing about it…
Or drive around until a cop does pull you over and say, “yeah… it just happened, here is his info, he wouldn’t stop. I’m frightened.”

he’s got some great ideas

I’m frightened

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA :twisted:

how is it a truck doesn’t have to clean off the snow and ice before it gets on a highway, but a normal vehicle must?

funny, kinda like emmisions laws…normal vehicles aren’t the problem…

The above is a myth, any accident you have on the road should result in an immediate report. Jesse, please call the cops if you haven’t already, it’s better to cover your butt.

i told you guys

i called the OPP and LOCAL police to try and file something

this is considered a “mother nature” accident.

the trucker is in no way responsible under our laws.

i can not file any report or do anything that involves the police.

so for now the mods i was planning to do to my car will ahve to be put on hold

I’m guessing the cleaning rules don’t really apply to drivers of big rigs because it would simply be dangerous cleaning the roof. Unlike normal vehicles where the roof is easily reached, you have to literally go on top of the roof when it comes to the rig and I’m sure depending on the weather, it can get really slippery. Also, unlike some construction vans that carry a a metal/graded rack with protective sides, there is nothing like that on a rig.

I have no experiance with rigs, but this is a guess of mine. I do feel sympathy for you (I know I would freak if the same happened to me), but you also have to question how comes they don’t clean the roofs?

The worker’s union, altough helpful also causes workers to be more handicaped by restrictions. I’m guessing if he’s unionized, he’s probably not allowed to clean the top of his rig in bad weather conditions due to the risk (any risk = union having to pay for it). Should you break the unions laws? You can get fined. (Ironic since you are paying them to do this).

For example, I work with my pops doing concrete foundations (temporary, I swear!!) and one rule that many of us don’t like / do is that we’re not allowed to walk along the top of the wall (which is about 8-10 inches in width). They require us to use a ladder. The negative thing about this procedure is that 1. It slows us down a lot and 2. I actually find it more dangerous since I’ve had more close calls with the ladder than walking along the wall.

I’m just saying there’s probably a good reason why the roof isn’t cleaned (slippery or union doesn’t allow it), but yes, if what you said was true, he was acting ignorant. A, “I’m sorry, but I can’t do anything about that because insert reason” would have been better than “so what”.

Hopefully things run better for you. You can try to pester the employee and company, but judging from all the responses, It’ll probably land upon deaf ears. Best best of luck to you dude.

Your lucky it didnt break through, or it wasnt any worse…

A couple of weeks ago on the way back from school, (on 7 going west just before Keele) a truck dropped big chunks of concrete (those big ass concrete medians) and they smashed all over the road, just hitting one of those things even if it was just lying on the road would fock you up. big mess.

The problem is that you waited and thought it out etc…
You should hve parked your shit in front of his and then asked him to climb out. In the meanwhile you can call the cops.
If you have no phone, you can be such a pain that he will.
It is his fault and you are right to be pissed.

I think its the best advice.
You might have to hassle through it but make them acknowledge how much attitude the driver gave you (bad rep for the company) and obviously exaggerate a bit…a lot!
If it doesnt work at least you will have tried and the driver will get some shit for it. (My dads a trucker :? , but he tells me you are supposed to check the whole shit out and make sure its safe to be on the road)

Good luck.