LOOKING FOR LEGAL ADVICE

WHAT A SHITTY NITE!

i was driving home in my winter beater last night minding my own business on an 80kmph road at 2:20am.

a transport truck in the opposite direction that was hauling ass drove by me and a HUGE 1ft by 5in chunk of PURE ice flew off of the trailor and SMASHED the shit out of my windsheild.

my buddies and i were like WTF

i threw on the ebrake spun around and chased him down, i managed to stop him at a light. got out of my car. walked to his window

proceded to tell him a massive chunk of ice flew off of his trailor and totaly anialated my windsheild.

long convo short
he reply’s “so what?”
i say can i please have your insurance information?
he reply’s"why?"
because a chunk of ice flew off your trailor and damaged my car?
he replies “so what am i supposto do about it?”
i said please give me your information
he reply’s “what am i supposed to do go up there and shovel it off?”
i reply IT COULD HAVE KILLED MY PASSENGER
he says “Call the cops”

then he proceeds to drive off

a passenger managed to grab the truck licenece plate AND The trailor Licence plate and also the company’s name on the side of the truck.

its 3:36am right now, i have not contaced authorities. Would like some imput from anyone who has had experiences like this in the past

i was to go about this the right way and have my windsheild fixed and maybe some extra kickback for the danger it put me and my 2 passengers in. Not to mention the neglect and language of the person representing the company threw at me.

should i call teh cops first or call the company?

ill post pics tomorrow when its light out

owned

to top off the day

my muffler fell off about 30min before
almost ran out of gas
it was -15 and there was a hole in my windsheild and my fucking window wont fully close

I had that happen recently too, fortunately, no damage. But, WOW, LOUD.

Probably better to call the company first and try to get the info…but frigg, have your hand on po-po speed-dial if they give you ANY crap at all.

I don’t know how this all might work out for ya, but nice job on catching up to him! :slight_smile:

jesse something like that sorta happened to a friend of mine

he was leaving work and a transport truck was pull in and pretty much cut him of… but up the whole rear of his trailer over the front end of his car and wrecked the whole corner!!

and he said so what as well pretty much… so my buddy contacted the company he worked for “had a witness” and they fixed the damage done on his car “wasnt easy for him” but he stayed on it, and they fixed it all.

The trucker is right… He couldn`t care less…

Call your insurance company, there`s a reason why people pay for insurance, this is one of them.

The trucker did nothing illegal, and ice falls off alot of things.

call your insurance.

That is the most ignorant remark I have heard.
Next time I see the Z I’ll chuck a bolder out my sunroof…like seriously.

It is the trucker’s fault. You telling me if something comes flying off “HIS” rig its not his fault. Lets say a slate of wood comes flying off the back off one of those flatbed ones. Kills the person behind him, its not his fault I guess right. Its his responsibility to keep his shit clean of snow and shit tied down.

Jesse you should have called the cops. I don’t know what you can really do now but either file an accident report (then you will have a claim on your insurance) or just call the truck company and tell them what happened. Most likely they will tell you to get lost because you don’t have any proof.

I myself am sick of asshole truck drivers on the highway that think they own the road. I have encountered a hand full that were nice, very few.

Andrew.

I say call the company and tell them the story. Tell them which truck and trailer it was and demand to give you the driver’s name (although that probably won’t happen but it will show that you are serious).

After you get as much info as you can tell them that you will be contacting the police after you get off the phone with them.

Then call the cops if the trucking company does not cooperate.

That is the most ignorant remark I have heard.
Next time I see the Z I’ll chuck a bolder out my sunroof.

It is the trucker’s fault. You telling me if something comes flying off “HIS” rig its not his fault. Lets say a slate of wood comes flying off the back off one of those flatbed ones. Kills the person behind him, its not his fault I guess right. Its his responsibility to keep his shit clean of snow and shit tied down.

Jesse you should have called the cops. I don’t know what you can really do now but either file an accident report (then you will have a claim on your insurance) or just call the truck company and tell them what happened. Most likely they will tell you to get lost because you don’t have any proof.

I myself am sick of bumhole truck drivers on the highway that think they own the road. I have encountered a hand full that were nice, very few.

Andrew.[/quote]

Andrew is right. A person driving a car has to take reasonable precautions to make sure that their vehicle is not a danger to others on the road when driven in traffic. I.e the biggest concern is truck wheels, etc, but it can also be applied to pick up trucks who have tailgates open. If something falls out of the tailgate, that driver has created a menace which was avoidable.

That’s just one example, but you get the idea.

A big pet peeve of mine are people who dont brush the snow off their headlights and taillights, but that also falls under the above legal priniciple. Brush off the snow lazy ass people. How am I supposed to see the brake lights idiots?

Call the cops Jesse, and tell them exactly what happened, and say you want to file an accident report. Tell them the trucker refused to give you insurance info, and that you have his plate because he drove off and almost took you out. You have witnesses.

Also, call the company, and tell them that you have called the police.

From there, its kind of up in the air. Police may say “oh ice chunk from the roof? He couldn’t have known, so go through your own insurance” or they may say “what? he didnt check for ice on the roof? big no no”

If you are really mad, take them to civil court.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.
Renny

Hey Jesse

Im glad to hear all of you were ok.

Well legally there is’nt anything you can do. I know a few guys that have had that happen and they had to pay for it themselves.

Even my buddy who drives a tow truck had to pay for it out of his pocket. The company would’nt put a claim in. It was the same circumstances too. He was on the highway and a chunck of ice flew off of a truck and destroyed his windshield.

You can try phoning the trucking company but I am almost positive they will say to bad so sad. Unlike cars and vans where people do have a responsibility to remove all the snow and ice off of the roofs, trucks and trailers seem to be a different story.

Take care.

Easy 8)

guys, insurance is not an option, i do not have full coverage so it wont do shit.
Contacting the cops at the time was not really an option also, there would be nothing for them to see, and filing a report on a payphone would not be fun

not to mention i was in the middle of buttfuck knowhere 20min from any pay phone.

i also heard cops should not be called unless the damage is in exess of $1000
unless a traffic violation is involved

if i call the cops it will be just because he refused to give me his name or information.

funny, i had it happen to my Z. and it broke my bumper.

Insurance fixed it, i didn`t have to pay a premium and my rates stayed the same.

Its in your insurance. Read your policy. Maybe you wont get quite the deal i got, but it`s covered.

That`s why people have insurance… wierd.

PS.

wood and other stuff that they are loading and hauling is NOT the same as ice and snow.

This is weather related, and will be covered by insurance.

phat you are right

but i dont have insurance for incodents like that because in reality there is no point of putting it on an 85 corolla

well here is the verdict

I callled the police and apparently there is nothing i can do about it and this is what full insurance is for.

The police told me there is no fault for the driver of the vehicle. it is considered what a stone chip would be considered Shake Head

there is no kind of ignorance or neglect i can go at him for

this is an answer i got after calling local and provincial police.

i guess i was in the wrong place at the wrong time, its funny cause if my muffler had have fallen off a few min later i would have totaly missed it.

wrong place at the wrong time. atleast nobody was injured

now i gotta find a windsheild for an 85 corolla :expressionless:

so much for my car fund ive been saving for the past 2 months.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/jjwilks/IMG_1920.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/jjwilks/IMG_1921.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/jjwilks/IMG_1919.jpg

im just gona drive it like this untill after i buy my diff maybe?

or untill a cop pulls me over

i can still fully see there are no cracks in my view

another funny thing is that if it had pierced the windsheild it would have hit CHRIS DIRECTLY in the nads!!

i love laminate glass, there were only a few pieces of glass that actually poped out but you cant really tell from pics

THE NOISE WAS INSANE TOO, IT WAS SO LOUD!

anyone have a windsheild for an 85 fwd 4 door corolla lying around

or have hookups

or also have hookups at a glass plaece

what do you guys think? drive around sportin the intense ice battle?

holy shit! And the guy said its not his problem. SOB

You were saying… AnDrEw ???

and something about wood?

yes

like the oporator at teh call center said

“it was a random act of mother nature” :roll:

w/e im not gona get too stressed

im going to compose something to present to the company about the employee representing them

its about all i could do

You are supposed to clean all the ice off your vehicles. Call the company and tell them that, ask for their insurance info and make a calm but firm complaint about the drivers attitude towards the situation and ask why you should be responsible for an unsafe vehicle that fucked you

You were saying… AnDrEw ???

and something about wood?[/quote]
great your right, I stand corrected. Stop being an ignorant asshole about it.

Andrew

the guy actually said to me
“what am i supposed to do? go up there and shovel it off”

wtf mate.